How to Change Scrolling Speed of Mouse or Trackpad in Mac OS X
Scrolling through documents, web pages, and other data with a trackpad or mouse is one of the most common computing tasks and used gestures. By default, the scrolling speed on a Mac is not particularly speedy, but with some settings changes you can customize the scrolling rate in OS X for both a Mac trackpad and a two-finger scroll, or a mouse connected to a Mac with a scroll wheel.
The pace settings are actually separate, meaning you can have a different scroll speed set for a connected mouse and a different scrolling speed set for something like a built-in MacBook Pro trackpad.
Here’s where you can make the adjustments to scrolling speeds in OS X:
Changing the Mouse Scrolling Speed in Mac OS X
For external mice with a scroll wheel or touch surface like the Magic Mouse, you can quickly adjust the scrolling speed in Mouse preferences:
- From the Apple menu, go to “System Preferences” and choose “Mouse”
- Adjust the slider under ‘Scrolling speed’ as appropriate, the change is immediate so you can test the impact on any scrollable field, page, or website
Changing the Trackpad scroll speed, meanwhile, is in another settings area.
Change the Trackpad Scrolling Speed on a Mac
For Mac laptops and the Magic Trackpad, changing the speed of a two-finger scroll is done through the Accessibility settings, not in the Trackpad settings.
- From the Apple menu, choose “System Preferences” and select “Accessibility” from the preference panel options
- Choose “Mouse & Trackpad” from the left side menu in Accessibility
- Click on “Trackpad Options” and adjust the ‘Scrolling Speed’ slider as fit
For both the trackpad and mouse, any changes to scrolling speed are immediately noticeable, so it’s a good idea to have a webpage or document open to test scrolling in.
This process is the same on all modern versions of OS X and with all Mac hardware, including MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, MacBook, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and third party trackpads and mice as well – for both USB and Bluetooth connections.
Separately, you can use a third party application to control the acceleration speed of scrolling with a trackpad or mouse on a Mac too, though most users will find that unnecessary.