Manually Empty Google Maps Cache on iPhone

Aug 13, 2016 - 14 Comments

Google Maps Unlike most other apps on the iPhone, the Google Maps application allows users to manually clear the apps cache. Doing so will remove the Google Maps app specific Documents and Data on iOS, including all local application caches, app data, offline stored maps, and reset any cookies within the Google Maps application.

This is a handy feature for Google Maps users, particularly since the Google Maps application can often take up a considerable amount of local storage with map caching and offline maps.

How to Empty Google Maps Local Cache on iPhone Manually

We’re focusing on the iPhone but this ability exists in the Google Maps app for iOS on any device.

1. Open Google Maps and tap on the burger menu in the upper left corner (it looks like a series of lines atop one another)
  2. Go to Google Maps Settings

3. Go to “Settings” and then choose ‘About, terms & privacy’
  4. go to Google Maps app settings

5. Choose “Clear application data”
  6. Clear Google Maps app cache

7. Tap on “OK” to confirm you want to delete Google Maps app data and app caches
  8. Confirm to delete Google Maps app cache and app data

9. Exit Google Maps settings and use the app as usual, or just quit the app

The application data and caches will be removed, freeing up the space that is taken up by the Google Maps app.

This can easily free up several hundred MB of storage, and perhaps even more if you’re a frequent Google Maps user, or if you use the Offline Maps feature in Google Maps.

There is no similar feature available in the Apple Maps app that comes installed by default on iPhone. Considering how bloated Documents and Data often are in iOS apps, this is a really nice feature, and one that should be included in more apps, if not iOS settings itself. Instead, for the time being anyway, if you want to delete the Documents and Data on iPhone or iPad for other apps, you need to perform a bit of a circus act and manually go through and delete the application then re-download it again, or if you’re targeting iCloud documents rather than caches, remove them from iCloud directly.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. Wes says:

Why doesn’t every app have this? iOS needs a dump cache settings option. My Other space on my iPhone is over 6GB, it’s all app cache and who knows what that I can not empty.

But would Apple sell more iPhones if they made more efficient use of space on current iPhone models? I suspect Apple likes the storage crunch for business reasons, but it sure creates a lot of frustration for every iPhone user I know.

2. Duncan Alex says:

I wish all apps had this ability.

3. Angelo says:

I don’t have an option on google maps settings to “clear application data”.

• LynetteOZ says:

I don’t have the option to ‘Clear application data’…. I’m in Australia, perhaps this is specific to American iPhones?

I’m also annoyed at how many ‘compulsory apps. we’re automatically loaded onto my iPhone 6s when I bought it…. Therefore not giving me the 64gb which I bought. How is that fair?

4. Angelo says:

Found it!

5. John says:

I cleared the info and went from 9.1 MB of Google Maps in storage to 15MB, exactly BACKWARDS. How/why would that happen? My head just ‘sploded!

6. John says:

I cleared it again, storage info increased again (to 16.7.) If I keep clearing it my phone will fill up! :0|<

7. LynetteOZ says:

I’m also annoyed at how many ‘compulsory apps.’ were automatically loaded onto my iPhone 6s by Apple when I bought it…. Therefore not giving me the 64gb which I bought. How is that fair?

8. LynetteOZ says: