iTunes 12.7 Released, Removes App Store

Sep 13, 2017 - 103 Comments

iTunes

Apple has released iTunes 12.7 for Mac and Windows users, a point release update that brings some notable changes to the music and media player app.

The new version of iTunes adds support for iOS 11 while simultaneously removing the iOS App Store from being included in iTunes. Additionally, iTunes 12.7 removes the ability to sync iOS apps and ringtones on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch via iTunes on the desktop. Instead, Apple wants you to manage and download iOS apps from the iPhone or iPad itself via the native iOS App Store application.

Users can download the latest iTunes release from the software update mechanism of iTunes itself, via the Mac App Store Updates tab, or from the apple.com iTunes download page here.

The release notes accompanying the iTunes 12.7 download are as follows:

The new iTunes focuses on music, movies, TV shows, and audiobooks. It adds support for syncing iOS 11 devices and includes new features for –

– Apple Music. Now discover music with friends. Members can create profiles and follow each other to see music they are listening to and any playlists they’ve shared.

– Podcasts. iTunes U collections are now part of the Apple Podcasts family. Search and explore free educational content produced by leading schools, universities, museums, and cultural institutions all in one place.

If you previously used iTunes to sync apps or ringtones on your iOS device, use the new App Store or Sounds Settings on iOS to redownload them without your Mac.

When you launch iTunes 12.7 you will see a pop-up window with an alert informing the user that iTunes has been “updated to focus on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks” and telling the user to use App Store or Sound Settings in iOS to deal with apps and ringtones.

iTunes message removing App Store

It’s worth mentioning that iTunes 12.6.x is currently compatible with iOS 11, though that may change when the final version of iOS 11 is released to the public on September 19.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iTunes, News

1. Funkright says:

Can you still load your own ringtones or has that ability been removed too?

• avenged110 says:

As far as I could tell from Apple’s support doc, you can drag custom ringtones to the device to add them. True syncing is gone, but they can still be added manually. That said, I use iTunes 11 so I can’t actually test it myself.

• DarylS799 says:

I did the update before I knew we are losing things. Anyone know how to revert to last older version? I hate with APPLE takes things away because they want more control of OUR phones and computers. I have been an APPLE user since 1984 but I swear I am going Android if they keep this doing this kind of crap.

• BHernandez says:

I’m restoring my Mac from a Time Machine backup just to do that…

Thought exactly the same about Android, if it wasn’t because there’s no real equivalent to iTunes database for music stats.

• Brian Lev says:

BEFORE anyone reverts to an older version of iTunes, make sure you have a backup version of your older .itl file (the library) or it will not be readable by the older version of iTunes…!

• Bill says:

go here: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/ITunes

they have all the old versions of iTunes for download … had to do that myself.

• iTunesWhereArtThou says:

You can download iTunes 12.6.2 directly from the Apple CDN here:

Or you can restore iTunes from a Time Machine backup to downgrade.

But I suspect Apple will make the iOS 11 final only compatible with iTunes 12.7? We will see, maybe iOS 11.1 or 11.2?

• DarylS799 says:

OK so I downloaded the previous version but OS won’t let me delete the newer iTunes. How do I get the older one installed with the newer one in place or how do I delete the newer version? HELP PLEASE

• Mark says:

It seems to me that reverting back doesn’t really solve the problem… it only delays the pain for a while. Are those who revert just going to NEVER update iTunes again?? Any future updates will screw you again. I think I see a bigger problem than not seeing my Apps showing in iTunes… If iTunes isn’t managing apps anymore, than phones are likely not reporting apps to iTunes. So…… what will happen when you go to do an iPhone Restore, or if you get a new phone? You’ll not get all your apps synched to the new phone!! That’s a HUGE issue… redownloading tons of apps individually?!

• ManoaHi says:

If you’re on a Mac, hopefully you don’t use an administrator login as your regular account (same is true for Windows – the process below is more involved in Windows) Never use an administrator account as your regular account, it has elevated permissions. That said, heed now if not already doing so. Here’s how to revert:
          1. quit iTunes
          2. login as an administrator
          3. download iTunes 12.6.2
          4. go to Activity Monitor (Applications–>Utilities–>Activity Monitor
          5. click on Memory
          6. in the search box search for iTunes
          7. however many show up (you can only select one at a time), select each one, one by one, and click on the “X” near the upper left hand corner, you should get a dialogue box.
          8. open up a terminal session
          9. run this: sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app
          10. enter in your administrator password
          11. after it completes, install iTunes 12.6.2
          12. log off administrator and login to your regular account
          13. locate your Music folder and expand to find your iTunes folder
          14. remove or move the “iTunes Library.itl” file.
          15. in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder find a previous one, look at the date.
          16. using Finder duplicate (this is a safety measure, in case you have to do it again)
          17. move the duplicate to the iTunes directory
          18. rename the duplicate to “iTunes Library.itl”
          19. now you’re done. Launch iTunes, you should be back in iTunes 12.6.2.

Remember, I don’t know how to stress this, but I’ll repeat again, never use an administrator login as your regular login. Anyway, turn off autoupdate otherwise it will go back to 12.7 again. Get any updates to Apps in iTunes, you’ll have to enter in your Apple id’s password a number of times. I’d suggest you open text editor and type your password. Copy it, because you’ll have to enter in a number of times, if you haven’t kept up the updates to Apps, you could be hundreds behind. But after about 25 times entering your Apple ID password, it will start downloading your apps.

• Mav says:

Agreed – I am to Apple support as we speak. There is now no way to browse and review apps on a Desktop without iTunes. I am looking for a few apps and am simply NOT prepared to spend hours browsing on a bloody iPhone screen to find what I want.

Even the links on the iTunes site for apps – now tries to open up iTunes on your PC and surprise surprise shoves Apple Music in your face if you have the latest version grrrr.

So I’ve just come off the phone from Apple Support. They have said you can uninstall the latest version of iTunes that is missing the App Store (as this is the only one that has the App Store removed), then go here and pick the version you want:

I hope this helps others!

2. Alex says:

Ironically, Apple states that the new iTunes focuses on music, dropping ringtones from being synced.

So, for Apple, ringtones are not music until you buy them from the store.

Well, goodbye custom ringtones and, of course, goodbye ringtones at all.

• Risi says:

Well, finding ringtones on the iTunes app on an iOS device is like pulling teeth already. Plus, I don’t remember the last time I didn’t have my phone on vibrate. Paying for ringtones would be a waste of money, since you can effectively make your own using Garageband (which is free, and you can use any song you buy through iTunes, so you’re only paying once).

If they remove that feature, to be honest, still no biggie. Haven’t used that feature in over 3 years. For the small percentage of people that this affects, it sucks, but updates are for entire user experience, not for a few people who don’t like new features, or want to keep something around that developers already stopped wasting their time and money on.

And in any case, there’s always an App for that.

3. Alex says:

What about file sync via iTunes? Do we have to wait for iOS 11?

• Sheryl says:

iTunes does still allow for file syncing. It replaced the Applications tab with a Files tab, which recognizes file-syncing applications on the iPhone or iPad and allows filing syncing as it did before. However, application maintenance — such as installing, uninstalling, updating, and organizing — is now gone from iTunes.

• Alex says:

Thank you, Sheryl!

• BHernandez says:

Which defeats, in my case, the whole purpose of using my Mac as the digital hub for my home. Now I’ll have to download not only apps but media, several times to sync it across all my household gadgets. Serious bandwidth hog and cumbersome.

My only hope is if Apple would put those features in MacOS Server but I guess is only wishful thinking.

4. devtester says:

You can load ringtones by dragging them into iTunes. They will load to the phone.

However, I can’t see a way with iOS 11 GM to unhide hidden apps now that iTunes no longer handles apps. Music and videos are fine, but Apps management is missing.

5. JustCause says:

Hate this!!!! Will not be upgrading seeing as iOS 11 is probably tied to iTunes 12.7. They need to release an app for managing iPhone apps, ringtones…

• ManoaHi says:

iOS 11 will still sync with iTunes 12.6.2. Not sure why Apple did this. I’m wondering if enough people complain in the feedback. To revert to iTunes 12.6.2 please see above post.

• zoko says:

I have been searching why I cannot see the app tabs for hours till I find this article. Restricting tones and apps customization suc ks!
        The worst the ios11 does not even add new tones, we are all fed up with default tones. They want us to buy tones and not to do our own tones.
        Make me thinking of android after so many years of iPhone

• stanley says:

I was the same . I was like what happen to the apps tabs . Why is all my application stored inside place is gone . It took me hours to find this page . Guess we are the same I am not much of IT tech guy who buys iphone tones and applications

• ManoaHi says:

iOS 11 will still sync with iTunes 12.6.2.

6. Ahovis says:

So when I restore my backup to my new iPhone 8, will the 249 apps I have installed on my current iPhone 6S be installed? If not, this is a very bad move for people with lots of apps.

• Ian T says:

If you need to restore or get a new iPhone, you can still get all your apps and everything else from your iCloud backup (assuming you have one – you should!), and everything but your apps via iTunes.
      Otherwise, it means re-downloading all you apps again via the iOS App Store.
      The problem is that “old” or “no longer supported” apps will be lost for good even if they still work fine. Up till now, you could every app you ever bought on iTunes.

• Mark says:

I never used iCloud backup because iTunes says iCloud backups are “only the most important data from your iphone”. I’d prefer to do a “FULL” backup to my computer. I just Googled “Do icloud backups include apps?” and the results seem to say NO.

• Risi says:

iCloud backups do include Apps. Most Apps. In fact, if you’re missing an App, it probably got deleted from iTunes before it got deleted from your phone. Does it save the information from that App? Depends on what the App permissions are with iOS. For example, you can backup WhatsApp conversations in iCloud. Along with that, you can actually go into your iCloud settings and select which Apps you’d like to be in the backup.

Nowadays, App companies are offering to backup customer data to their encrypted private servers a la Snapchat, or giving customers options to go with another cloud server like Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive. So, for the latter, all you have to do is sign in, which depending on App permissions iCloud can do for you, and your information will begin to sync.

Now if there’s still stuff you’d like to have saved for you, like Apple Pay settings, TouchID settings, content dragged into iTunes or iBooks, PhotoStream (which is currently obsolete anyway), Activity, Health, and Keychain data, THEN you should always stick with an iTunes backup. But for a lot of the population, since smartphones seem to be replacing computers, that isn’t an option. You also won’t believe the incompatibility issues PC/iPhone users have with iTunes. iCloud never needs an update on your behalf, and with the way the tech trend is going, everything will have a cloud-based counterpart that the tech company favours for its users within the next few years.

By all means, do what works for you. I know of a Music studio that hasn’t updated it’s computers in 10 years due to the fact that if they update, their analog equipment can be damaged in the process, and cost them millions of dollars. It’s just not worth it.

Now having both is the best idea, because if your main computer fails, and no longer has access to that backup, whether it was deleted or corrupted, you may lose a lot of your phone info too.

This article shows what exactly gets put in either backup, HOWEVER, this is from the days of iOS 9, which this past January (2017) has dropped to 18% of users, and is predominantly on older “end-of-life” tech that cannot be updated to the newer iOS. This trend will definitely continue into iOS11, and probably split that percentage in two, and remain on the last little bits of tech that cannot support the newer iOS.

iOS 11 will also have a new feature that will allow users to transfer over that important information DIRECTLY from iPhone to iPhone, greatly reducing the need for an iTunes backup.

I hope this gives you some more insight, and I hope it doesn’t come off as rude. I’ve lost a lot of info from the last few phones I had, simply because I decided that I would skip out on a cloud-based backup.

7. Dave Nathanson says:

One important reason to sync Apps from Mac to iOS device was to revert to an older version when a new version was crashy & unusable. It sounds like that will no longer be possible. :-(

Occasionally an old app is removed from the App store and no replacement is available. Being able to sync the app you bought from the App store, back into your iOS device means that it is OK to delete any app because you could always load it back in (even if not available in App store). Sounds like that feature is gone too? Can anyone confirm?

How can you get a full 100% backup of your iOS device if you can’t sync apps to/from the iOS device? Is there an alternate Mac app that can do that?

Is there any way to load your copy of an App purchased from the app store, back into your iOS device without iTunes?

• Mirek says:

… you still can. Using XCode (just tested – but I have a dev account). It seems, that new iTunes didn’t remove backed up applications.

8. Dave Nathanson says:

Some iOS apps store a lot of data apparently in the app. If you are downloading or re-downloading an app it will not have your data. So in this new world, how do you back up your app data?

• BHernandez says:

Exactly!

And you have to download the same app on all the iGadgets you have in your household and “manage” them on the devices. Atrocious.

As I mentioned above, I’m restoring my Mac from a pre-iTunes 12.7 Time Machine backup, but I guess I can run but cannot hide…

9. Bill says:

You can’t hide apps anymore or can you?

This was useful, take as an example. I have an app for Nikon manuals, which is very useful when out and about, but now I can see the old app for the manuals again and it is telling me I can download it from the cloud again, but if I do, it wont work as the apps too old, hiding it was a better option it help stop confusion!

Like many other apps now and in the future i.e. when we still all have 32bit apps that wont work and still show up as purchased along side our 64bit versions, cluttering up everything.

Apple haven’t thought this through, we need to hide older apps that we no long want or need to use again!!

As for the ring tones, the ones I have made are in sounds, but how will I make new ones and upload them to my iPhone, it there an app for that?

Again Apple, get someone at Cupertino to put their thinking caps on!

• devtester says:

Yes you can hide apps in the iOS APP store. Unfortunately, once you do, you cannot get them back. No “unhide” capability. That’s the app management problem that Apple seems to have overlooked. I would guess its one team at Apple who didn’t think about the consequences of what they were doing. Sadly, there’s a lot more of that happening these days. It doesn’t “just work” anymore.

As for ring tones, yes you can make your own. Ringer is one app that works quite well. You can then drag the tone into the “tones” on your iPhone. That works fine, I’ve done that.

Sure hope someone at Apple figures out the Apps management oops and fixes it.

10. Aplmac says:

From a practical perspective, you no longer have the capability to layout or arrange your apps on your iDevice on ‘the big screen’ of your Mac – you now have to do it by click and drag/drop on your iDevice screen, which is not helpful if you have a lot of apps to arrange.

Best advice: tidy up your iDevice before upgrading to iTunes 12.7.

11. Tom S says:

I have a very slow internet connection and several IOS devices. Downloading to iTunes at night then distributing to the devices is a great solution for me. Any network errors, etc. would not disrupt or break an app.
    Now, if there are network errors during download to IOS device, will the old version of the app still be usable?
    Will I have to make a trip to a WiFi hotspot somewhere in town to do IOS updates?

• Ted says:

Sorry Tom, but it is your fault that you have a slow internet connection. As a matter of fact, as far as they’re concerned, it’s your fault for being born. Apple’s only concern is making cash so they can build space campuses. Your sole responsibility is to purchase Apple products, thereby supporting them with cash.

12. annoyed says:

So now iTunes is removing features that we use?

I guess Apple removing Touch ID and the headphone jack from the iPhone wasn’t enough for a week, they needed to make iTunes even worse too.

And the MacBook Pro removed the brightness sound function and escape keys…

Why does Apple remove stuff everyone uses and call that a good thing?

13. My journey with Apple started with an Apple II in the days when competitors were still using 5.25″ floppy disks. Over the years I graduated from model to model and experienced both the Claris software debacle and the soft drink whizz-kid’s disastrous licensing of third-party hardware running Apple software. Fortunately, Steve Jobs return to the company seemed to bring about a welcome renewal and sense of purpose and direction.

Sadly, since the launch of the iPhone, the company seems to have increasingly moved to short term cycles; become even more tight lipped about what it is doing; appears to find client commentary, irrelevant and client service a (un)necessary evil.

Having been through the seemingly never-ending and stupid Mac v Windows diatribes period and having worked with both from their beginnings, I have no doubt that the Mac OS has always been superior.

However, whilst I don’t lay claim to either technical IT knowledge, coding skills, nor business acumen, I find it increasingly difficult to understand what Tim Cook and/or other Apple executives are seeking to achieve and whether they, any longer, have any real understanding or concern for Apple computer clients – exactly those afficianados who saw Apple through its darkest days and who have constituted probably the most loyal support group for any product marketed since the Model T Ford.

Surely, there must be some way to get through to the Apple executive and have some reason applied to this erratic roller coaster of additions and subtractions and re-additions or modifications, ad infinitum.

If not, I’m sad to say, Apple’s days as a leading computer manufacturer for individuals must surely be numbered.

• Ted says:

LOL! People who list their Apple “credentials” since the dinosaur age always amuses me. I’m sure you meant to say “customer” as opposed to “client”, for you are not a “client” of Apple Computer. You are a “customer”. Big difference!

It seems collecting Apple products over the decades have not thought you the supreme lesson: you only exist to provide companies with your cash. That’s all. They don’t make pretty wallpapers, and icons, and monitors, to impress you. They make them so you BUY them, thereby supplying them with cash. The fact that you no longer can do this, that or the other with the product you’ve purchased, have little to no concern to them.

This is capitalism, Rog. The purpose of companies is to move the cash from your pocket to their pocket. Doesn’t matter what it takes. That is all. No offense, but that’s the truth.

14. Bob Golly says:

This is utterly stupid!!! I backed up my old phone the restored to my new phone only to find all my apps had to be downloaded and installed again. It took 5 hours of waiting. Double dumb Apple!

15. Mark says:

Roger
    Apple stoped being a leading computer manufacturer a long time ago. I’m afraid some people are living and thinking in the past.

Apple first and foremost is a phone manufacturer, it’s second core business is the retail arm, of selling music and 3rd party apps via iTunes.

Computers as hardware are now that little sideline they do because they just don’t have the heart to shut it down completely. I know others will argue but if the truth be told Apple want an iOS world not an OSX one.

16. Steve J says:

This is total bull*.
    Again some smart guys think that everybody is online 24/7 with fiber optic cables. What about people who are in developing countries, in a plane, in a train, in a remote area without internet and still want to manage their apps (say you have a crash).
    What about people with 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and have to update apps that download, say, 1.5Gb? Instead of downloading once, you download it 4 times.
    What about an app that breaks everything? How do you come back to the previous version (it’s pushed into the trash, but you still can recover it on the Mac)???
    Smart guys who actually aren’t smart at all.

• Ted says:

Why are you so angry, Steve? Who cares who is or isn’t online 24/7? People survived for centuries without cell phones, Wi-Fi, and iTunes. Get rid of your phone. Believe me, you won’t miss a heartbeat from your own life for not having a cell phone. Just have a home phone, like I do, and people can call you there and leave messages. You’ll get them when you get home. It’s so simple. It doesn’t worth it to be angry because companies want your cash and you simply give it to them.

17. massimo says:

After the install, all the .ipa files are still in the iTunes folder. Can they be removed? IF there is no synch they are now wasting space, right?

18. John G says:

I agree, this is a backwards step. Why can’t Apple give us a desktop/laptop app to manage our iOS devices?

19. mike vaughan says:

Hilariously, when you connect your iPhone to the wonderful new version of iTunes, space occupied by Apps is shown as free! So although ‘About’ in Settings on the phone shows free space as 4.4 GB, iTunes on the Mac shows 13.84 free! Is this another Apple ‘enhancement’??

• GrumpGum says:

I’m starting to think the “i” in the iTunes and iOS stands for “intern” and it’s the projects that fresh interns are assigned to.

How do they ship so many half-baked products if not for that explanation?

20. mike vaughan says:

This is really dumb! I have the co-pilot Sat nav app on my phone but to save space I only synced maps when I need them through iTunes. Now I can’t see them, so the App has been rendered useless unless I buy the maps again :-(
    This is really dumb!

21. mike vaughan says:

Ooops. sorry about duplicate post. Also it seems that I can still get the maps I have already bought through the App. I still think this is not an improvement in any way to iTunes.

22. Garth Lahana says:

This is extremely annoying & I’m not sure if it’s legal here in Europe, as we have the right to have a backup of apps we purchase as far as I know. This renders my backuping of apps useless. I hope someone with more legal knowledge can take a look into this…

• James Husted says:

Everything still gets backed up when you backup your phone via iTunes. The Apps get backed up and can be restored via iTunes. You just manage UPDATES from the phone directly.

23. BHernandez says:

Does anybody else also misses iTunes U?

Yeah, it’s still available through iOS and the Podcasts section but it’s clear not all the content will be available on the Mac (or PC, of course) through iTunes anymore.

Am I being too paranoid realising you will NEED an iOS device to access that content that was supposed to be “freely available”?

24. louis966 says:

What will happen if I buy a new iPhone? Will I have to re-download all the applications one by one (I have a few hundreds!), regroup them into folders? Will I lose the chat history of all my chat apps? If this is what apple consider as an improvement, I guess I will finally switch to android phone after 10 years of iPhone use. My main reason why I kept buying iPhone was the restore function of iTunes that could totally restore the new iPhone exactly as a clone of the previous one. What a shame.

25. arnold says:

While complaining here can be cathartic, the real thing to do is to use the “Provide Itunes Feedback” menu option within Itunes and send your thoughts on this change to Apple directly.

26. Ted says:

I’m glad Apple is removing useless things from iTunes!

• Nate says:

Why? Why would you be happy that Apple is removing things that are indeed helpful? Features used to control and manage the device(s) we PURCHASED. I mean what is the point of removing things that have been features for years? It just makes iTunes even LESS usable. All to save 100 MB. What a complete joke. Tim Cook is the worst thing that EVER happened to Apple. And now they’re selling the new iPhone X for $999. Give me a break.

27. ac says:

Apple does not remove the app files left on your mac from the itunes mobile applications folder. This is several GBs that you must remove yourself. Not a Steve Jobs approach.

28. JOHN A MERRILL says:

They removed books, too. (The Books app does not let you send a sample to your iPad. iTunes used to let you do this.)

So if you are on your computer and reading a book review, there is no way to send a sample to your iPad. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I may go back to Kindle. More compatible with my iPad at the moment.

29. KSL says:

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    WORST UPDATE EVER!!!!!
    WHAT IN THE ACTUAL HECK IS THAT ALL ABOUT!? WHY WOULD THEY EVER REMOVE THE TONE AND APP TABS AT ALL?! THAT WAS ONE THING THAT EVERYBODY WANTED TO HAVE IN CASE THEY WANT TO ADD MORE TONES; AND THEY DO THIS?! REMOVE IT?! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Nate says:

Why? Why would they remove the Tone and App managers? Features used to control and manage the device(s) we PURCHASED. I mean what is the point of removing things that have been features for years? It just makes iTunes even LESS usable. All to save 100 MB. What a complete joke. Tim Cook is the worst thing that EVER happened to Apple. And now they’re selling the new iPhone X for $999. Give me a break.

30. Tessa Froggatte says:

How do you unhide any redownloadable purchased apps in the App Store and how do you downgrade back to iOS 12.6 on a MacBook?

• devtester says:

Like I said above, you don’t. There’s NO WAY to unhide an app. You have to call Apple to have THEM do it – or pay for it again. Maybe, maybe just maybe someone in Apple will admit an oops and fix it.

Just another brilliant move by Apple. That idea about sweating the details died with Steve.

31. Brian says:

Apple has lost the plot! Give us the option to downgrade 12.6.2.

32. Ted says:

I hope ya’ll realize that you’re barking up the wrong tree, right? Why are you venting here? Go and submit your comments directly to Apple on their product feedback page: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

You do realize they’re not reading these comments, right? So go there and submit your complaints there.

I do bet they won’t care, though… :-)

33. Joe says:

I don’t know what Apple is thinking anymore. They have become annoying.

34. Jim Roberts says:

The one thing I miss is being able to change/ manage the screens on my iPhone. Yeah, I know I can move them around on the phone, but seeing all 4 screen on my Mac, I could easily move apps around, add them to folders or take them out of folders with just a few drags or clicks. And I now need a Wi-Fi connection elsewhere to download the updates. Fortunately (for now) I can automatically download all my podcasts thru iTunes and automatically sync.

35. Jay says:

How to Uninstall and Reinstall iTunes on Mac (macOS Sierra)

Step 1. Go to the Applications folder and find the iTunes app.

Step 2. Right-click on iTunes and select Get Info.

Step 3. Locate and click on the padlock icon at the bottom right of the window, and you need to enter your admin password.

Step 4. Click and expand the Sharing & Permissions section. Change the privileges for “everyone” to Read & Write. This will give you complete control of the iTunes application so you can uninstall iTunes from your Mac.

Step 5. Close the Get Info window and drag the iTunes application to the Trash. You can still put back iTunes if you haven’t emptied the Trash.

36. Marsha says:

Having the Apple Store was one of the things I enjoyed best in iTunes.
    Being able to SYNC my iPhone and backup was a real asset with iTunes.
    It was easier than the ICloud.
    You could plug in your phone and click it to do the back up.
    Also download a backup to your computer.
    Everything was a your touch and now will be gone.
    I don’t like this change. Not everyone uses all the apps on the iPhone but use the computer at home.
    Especially the older customers!
    This is certainly not a good move that I support.
    Very disappointing!

• Nate says:

Tim Cook sucks. Apple is insane. Seriously, it’s unbelievable that they charge more for their iPhones than ever before, yet continue to take away the accessibility of them. Like, that was the ENTIRE POINT of the iPhone. To combine the iPod and phone into one, easy to use device. The new ios music app sucks too (unless you have Apple music, which I will NEVER get). And now iTunes is even LESS functional. Like why even remove the ringtone and app manager? Just to save 200 MB? Seriously, what were they thinking?!?

37. vdiv says:

remove iTunes 12.7.BS:
    # sudo rm -r /Applications/iTunes.app

download and install ver 12.6.2 from:

from Time Machine restore /Users//Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl to the version prior to 12.7.BS “upgrade”

38. katbel says:

What a stupid decision, I don’t have iCloud and neither I want to backup my devices there. BTW iCloud backups are not even encrypted. Look at Equifax: do I need to give thieves more to steal?!
    I used to love everything Apple was doing
    Not anymore :(

39. Vince Medlock says:

Not sure whether this is good or not. iTunes has always been a kludgy way to manage iDevices. If it doesn’t work out… well, I already gave Linux loaded in a boot volume and I’m due for a phone upgrade. May as well give Android a try.

40. Michael says:

Ok, really quick question. How do I get the really funny tones I make with iRinger on to my phone now? I NEVER use the standard ones. Why can’t I be an Apple customer AND try to be individual?

41. Peter says:

I used to be able to edit my playlists in itunes. Now the option is gone. Am I missing something here?

42. Evan B. says:

Half of my mobile apps have been downloaded from iTunes App Store (until the App Trimming thing), and half directly from iOS App Store. I back up/sync with iTunes. I can see ALL of the updates in the Updates tab on iOS, and only the half downloaded from iTunes in the iTunes App Store Updates window. A bit apprehensive from there. What will happen with the apps I downloaded from iTunes (then synced/backed up regularly) once I upgrade to iTunes 12.7? They should all be on the iPad, right? (NOT talking about apps Devs have stopped supporting). Nothing to re-download. Ton of data from work. I can then delete the .ipa files from my laptop. Thank you.

43. Donald says:

Used to use iTunes 12.6.2 on my old Macbook Pro OS 10.10.5. I can access to all the apps I used to download through Store within iTunes. After update to iTunes 12.7 from (previous Version 12.6.2) I can’t access to all my previous apps I used to download through App Store within iTunes & also not able to download any more apps. I am not happy about it. Can Apple fix the issues ASAP!!

44. Dan G says:

I just updated iExplorer. It’s an Mac app for backing up the iPhone. I have only been using it to back up Voicemail etc. but it seems to be pretty hefty. Anyone else have this and what do you think?

45. Jim says:

Was this new iTunes update a SURPRISE to anyone else ? I had automatic update turned OFF and was surprised to see the newest version.

46. Jim says:

47. Jimmy says:

Would a petition at change.org provide any pressure to restore the app features in iTunes. I wish someone with better verbal skills than I would start one.

48. Chris Elm says:

I find it extremely annoying that Apple decided to do away the App store and library in the new iTunes update. It seems they do not care about their clients or customers.

49. Chico DeBarge says:

WHY DID YOU REMOVE THE APP STORE FROM THE DESKTOP ITUNES? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? WHAT A HORRIBLE IDEA!

50. Peter says:

As odd as it seems, it appears that Apple has taken a tool that worked pretty well for most people, and through the “upgrade” returned it to the dark ages. I cannot believe that in order to create or edit a simply playlist, I now have to toggle between two open windows. It is absolutely horrendous.

51. Taoufik says:

hello what about sync the books and magazine ?

52. johnaerial says:

“Edit Playlist” used to be so simple. Easy to do and easy to see and easy to adjust. Since upgrading to 12.7, it is no longer so easy. I spent more than two hours with Apple ‘Support’ and after trying everything known to them, they eventually phoned Cuppertino and found that the ‘Edit’ facility has been changed to something else so user-unfriendly that I was unable to understand it. This also affects the ability to create a Playlist. If you value the original means of creating Playlists, I urge you to contact http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html and ask them to re-instate the original Edit Playlist.

53. ChrisSt150 says:

That is what I wrote to Apple:

Guess many customers, have the same question.
    The Last iTunes war not overbloated or whatever. I was a nice piece of software.
    I used to arrange my iOS Apps and cruise in the App Stores (Germany Switzerland).
    It was much more convenient than on my iPhone. May there be any chance to enter the store again on the mac some time??

Chris from Lake Constance Germany

54. Doug Dolde says:

Except Apple won’t let >100 MB apps update over LTE even if you have unlimited data. This is so stupid I’d like to kick Cook in the nuts

55. Mustapha Othman says:

You know what keep your update’s with ya apple, I do not need it anymore until you decide to get back to what u used to, Just some body tell me how I suppose to do with an 4 iPhones + 2 iPads in my house updating and installing the same app in each device’s with a limited bandwidth 100 GB/Mo ! WTH apple that’s really suck’s, Mr Cook enough please ><

56. Kimberley says:

I have noticed the Tones tab in the main music library has also been omitted, but the Tones tab in my device library still remains, which makes it an absolute pain in the arse to transfer ringtones onto my iPhone 7! Since this has been removed, I don’t know whereabouts iTunes has put the ringtone files after I’ve put them into iTunes. I cannot find them!

57. Pat says:

For those of you suggesting going to apple’s feedback page. Good luck because there isn’t even an option to select the 12.7 under the version of iTunes you are running (which is required btw)

Any other suggestions?

58. TK says:

This is a major change that I didn’t hear anything about. I just updated like I always do and didn’t really read the update box. Even if I had I probably wouldn’t have realized what was going to happen.

With this change how do I see my full listing of apps? I have some apps on my phone and some apps on my iPad for the kids. Some I have but don’t have them downloaded on either device but maybe I’d like to. Geez this is a big pain in the a**.

So if Apple is going to trim iTunes of this I have an idea PUT THE FUNCTIONALITY IN OH, THE APP STORE! You have a stand alone application for just apps so migrate everything that was functioning in iTunes for apps to THE APP STORE. Seems to be a simple solution to me. But what do I know, :(

59. Matt says:

How do I get apps in my collection THAT I PAID FOR and are no longer available in the app store back onto my iPad? They are still on my computer in the iTunes mobile applications folder, but the method to transfer them via iTunes is gone!

60. George in Eugene says:

Well, lets see how this works. I paid for an app, decided that I do not currently need it, and “removed” it. Now, in the past I could go into iTunes and simply add it back to my iPhone. Nope, no more. And they are not backed in iCloud.
    It appears that Apple is so poor that they want me to re-purchase them.
    Oh, not to mention that Apple apparently thought it was to easy to rearrange apps on a computer, so decided to make it harder to drag across multiple screens.
    My, my. What an “Improvement”!

61. Allen says:

I don’t Know what APPLE was thinking here. I guess APPLE hired 1 to many MS Programmers. BIG IMPROVEMENT, NOT!!!! Apple apparently thought it was to EASY to rearrange apps on a computer Screen, so They decided to make it harder to drag across multiple screens and in new / other folders. NOT to mention Searching for new ios app’s