Live Wallpaper for iPhone: vWallpaper
One of the cooler things about Android phones is Live Wallpaper. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s basically animated wallpapers behind your home screen, and the effect can be really flashy. You can get a similar experience on your jailbroken iPhone by using something called vWallpaper. vWallpaper aims to replicate the Live Wallpaper experience by allowing you to run videos as your iPhone wallpaper.
Here’s how to get vWallpaper on your iPhone:
- Add the following source to Cydia: http://i.danstaface.net/deb/
- Search for and install ‘vWallpaper’
- Launch the newly downloaded vWallpaper
- Tap on ‘Video Wallpaper’ and then slide ON to enable the video effect
- Now select the video you want to use as your wallpaper
- You can also download new videos by clicking on ‘Download Videos’
The effect is much easier shown than explained, here’s a random video from YouTube that shows the effect in action:
That particular video is sort of cheesy (falling limera1n icons? alrighty then) but there are many legitimately cool videos you can use. There are tons of other examples on YouTube of vWallpaper but many are NSFW or very poor quality, so have a look around.
This is just pure eyecandy and it’ll probably decimate battery life if you use it for too long. It looks (and runs) much better on the iPhone 4 than it does on older iPhones, because it’s just running an HD video in the background constantly. This differs from the Android approach, which use Java+HTML5 and run animated backgrounds and is much softer on the battery as a result (if there is something like this for the iPhone I haven’t found it yet).