Can I unlock my iPhone?
Whether or not you can unlock your iPhone depends on several things, including what iPhone you have and what version of iOS your phone is running. We have received many questions and comments asking if someone can unlock their particular iPhone and we hope this post will help to answer those enquiries.
We will go through each device and show you the criteria that must be met to see if you can unlock your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, or iPhone 3G.
Can I unlock my iPhone 4?
You can unlock the iPhone 4 only if it is running older firmware and iOS versions:
- iPhone 4 with iOS 4.0.2 or lower – YES you can unlock easily using ultrasn0w after you jailbreak the device
- iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1 – NO, not yet
- Phone 4 with iOS 4.2.1 – NO, not yet
The ability to unlock the iPhone 4 with newer firmware is currently being worked on by the iPhone Dev Team. We will update you when there is a working unlock for iPhone 4 with firmware from iOS 4.1 or 4.2.1.
Can I unlock my iPhone 3GS?
All models of iPhone 3GS can be unlocked regardless of the firmware version, however there are caveats with newer iOS versions:
- iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.0.2 or lower – YES, jailbreak first and then use ultrasn0w
- iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.1 – YES, see note below
- iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.2 – YES, see note below
Note: An iPhone 3Gs running iOS 4.1 or iOS 4.2 or later can be unlocked but it involves an irreversible process that will void your warranty and possibly prevent you from further iPhone iOS updates. Essentially this requires you to place iPad firmware onto your iPhone, and this can not be undone. If you are comfortable with this, learn how to unlock iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.2.1 with ultrasn0w
Can I unlock my iPhone 3G?
All versions of iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1 or lower can be unlocked, but later versions require a more complex unlock like the iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0.2 or lower – YES, jailbreak first and then use ultrasn0w
- iPhone 3G with iOS 4.1 – YES, see note below
- iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2 – YES, see note below
Note: Unlocking iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2 or iOS 4.1 requires you to perform an irreversible firmware upgrade that will void your warranty with Apple and it may prevent you from upgrading to future versions of iOS beyond 4.2.1. If you understand and accept this risk you can follow how to unlock iPhone 3G running iOS 4.2.1 with ultrasn0w
If you aren’t sure, you can learn whether or not a Jailbreak or Unlock is needed to achieve your desired results. Note that a jailbreak is necessary before an unlock can be installed.