10 Essential Keyboard Shortcuts for the Open & Save Dialog in Mac OS X
The next time you end up in an Open or Save dialog window in Mac OS X, try out a few of these helpful keyboard shortcuts to make navigating around the dialog and filesystem much faster.
This list is in the keystroke – description order, they work in any Save box or Open file window screen throughout Mac OS X and its apps.
- Spacebar – View the selected item in Quick Look
- Command+D – Selects Desktop as the destination
- Command+Shift+H – Sets the Home directory as the destination
- Command+Shift+A – Sets Applications directory as the destination
- Command+Shift+. – Toggle invisible items
- Command+Shift+G – Bring up Go To Folder window
- Tab – Tab key auto-completes paths and file names from the aforementioned Go To window
- Command+R – Open the selected item in the Finder
- Command+F – Move the cursor to the Find field
- Command+. – Close the Open/Save dialog window
Remember these keystrokes and you’ll be jumping around the Open and Save boxes of OS X faster than ever before, keyboard shortcuts really help to master your Mac! And yes, these work in just about every version of OS X out there for Mac.
Know any other great keyboard shortcuts or usability tips for the open/save dialog windows in OS X? Let us know in the comments!