How to Make a Silent Ringtone to Ignore Specific Callers to Your iPhone
Though you can send calls directly to voicemail and mute incoming calls, you can’t really block a specific caller on the iPhone. Rather than keeping your phone on silent all the time, you can selectively mute only specific callers by using a special silent ringtone and assigning it to a Contact you want to ignore.
Here’s how to make a silent ringtone (or download a pre-made one) and then set it to a contact.
How to Make a Silent Ringtone for iPhone in 5 Seconds with QuickTime Player on Mac
You can very quickly create your own silent ringtone on a Mac by using the QuickTime Player application, here’s how this works:
- Open QuickTime Player and pull down the “File” menu to select “New Audio Recording”
- Click and unclick the red record button immediately, do it in a single motion like double-clicking something, you’ll create a tiny silent recording of 0 seconds in length
- Save that file to the desktop as ‘silent.m4a’ then locate the file and rename it to “silent.m4r” and accept the file extension change
- Double-click the m4r file to import it into iTunes
- Once in iTunes connect your iPhone and drag the ringtone to the iPhone to sync it to the device as usual
Set the Silent Ringtone to a Contact on iPhone
This is the same as setting any other unique ringtone to a contact on the iPhone:
- From the iPhone, select the Contact to silent, tap “Edit”, tap “Ringtone” and then select your newly made silent ringtone
Now anytime the caller set to the silent ringtone calls, only they will be muted. Everyone else still rings as usual.
This is such a useful feature that I’m hoping Apple includes a “None” option for ringtones in a new version of iOS sometime down the road, but until then this blank ringtone approach works just fine.
If you’re having problems creating the silent ringtone, this short YouTube video walks through it with QuickTime on the Mac:
How’s this for a handy feature? And it works in much older iOS versions too, as evidenced by this retro screenshot:
Of course if someone is bothering you that much, you might want to just block them too.
Do you use the silent ringtone for specific iPhone contacts? Or do you have another solution?