Play Playstation 4 Games on Mac (or Windows) with PS4 Remote Play
Want to play Playstation 4 games on your computer? Now you can thanks to PS4 Remote Play, available for Mac OS X (and Windows PC). The Remote Play app basically allows you to control the Playstation remotely from a computer, streaming a PS4 game from the Playstation 4 itself to the Mac or PC over a wi-fi or ethernet connection, allowing you to play whatever game is in the PS4, except on the computer.
Requirements are pretty straight forward for PS4 Network Play to work; you’ll need a PS4 console updated to the latest version of Playstation system software, a relatively new Mac or Windows PC with decent hardware, a broadband internet connection that is legitimately fast, with good local networking performance as well, a PS4 controller with USB cable, and a Sony account (like you use on the Playstation). Once you meet those requirements, the rest is easy:
Playing Playstation 4 Games on Mac or PC with PS4 Remote Play
- Be sure the Playstation 4 and computer are on the same local network and using the same router*
- Go here to download the Remote Play app from Playstation.com and install the app on the computer
- Enable Remote Play on the PS4 by going to Settings, then to ‘Remote Play Connection Settings’, and choosing to turn on “Enable Remote Play”
- Connect the PS4 controller to the computer with a USB cable, then launch the PS4 Remote Play app and login with the Sony ID, the app will search for and connect to the Playstation and the PS4 or game screen will load in a moment
* After PS4 Remote Play has been setup, you can connect to the Playstation 4 remotely through WAN as well, assuming both the home and remote internet connections are sufficiently fast. Yes that means you can play a PS4 game at home, remotely from your Mac at work or school, assuming the bandwidth is sufficient.
PS4 Remote Play should load the game without issue and you’re ready to play it in windowed mode or full screen mode on the computer.
Adjusting PS4 Remote Play Performance & Resolution
The PS4 Remote Play app allows you to adjust resolution and frame rate as needed through the Preferences, which also may impact performance depending on the computer and networking conditions. If the performance is suboptimal, reducing the resolution can benefit, whereas a fast network should be able to handle 720p gaming at a high frame rate without issue. For best results, be sure the network connections in use are strong with little interference, as a weak signal on wi-fi can cause performance issues.
If you have any problems with configuration or issues with the general setup, the previously linked Playstation.com article has a few troubleshooting tips, but generally speaking as long as the PS4 has been updated to the latest system version, the feature has been enabled, and the associated internet connections are solid, it should work just fine with minimal effort.
This is a particularly great option for Mac gamers to have access to a much larger gaming library, and if you already use a PS4 controller on the Mac you may as well go a step further and setup PS4 Remote Play to play the games in Mac OS X as well. Perhaps a similar app will be made available for Playstation 3 and Xbox One?