iPhone X Priced at $999, Release Date is November 3
Apple has announced the all new iPhone X, pronounced as iPhone 10. The iPhone X has a variety of unique features and capabilities and is being pitched as the future of the iPhone.
iPhone X features a redesigned enclosure with stainless steel sides and glass on the front and back, as well as a larger screen that spans nearly the entire front face of the iPhone. By increasing the display size this way, the iPhone X loses the familiar Home button and Touch ID capability, and instead gains a new Face ID feature which scans your face to unlock your iPhone X.
And yes if you were wondering, iPhone X is a completely separate device from the also just announced iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. Unlike the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X is only available in a single physical size with a 5.8″ display.
iPhone X Specs & Features
- 5.8″ Super Retina HDR True Tone display with a 2436 x 1125 resolution at 458 PPI
- Face ID unlock mechanism replaces Touch ID and Home Button
- 12 MP dual cameras with dual optical image stabilization
- A11 Bionic CPU for improved performance
- Portrait Mode on front facing camera, Portrait Lighting for front and back camera
- Silver and space gray color options, all glass front and back, stainless steel sides
- Water and dust resistant
- Battery said to last 2 hours longer than iPhone 7
- Support for wireless Qi charging through the glass back, allows you to charge the iPhone with a Qi charger without plugging anything into the Lightning port thanks to an optional AirPower charging mat
- Unconfirmed, but reported to have 3GB RAM
The lack of a Home button is a first for an iOS device, and instead of pressing on the Home button to see the Home screen you will use a swipe up gesture. That means the swipe up gesture you’d typically use to access Control Center has been repurposed to get to the Home screen, and instead you swipe down from the top of the iPhone X screen to access Control Center. Since the gestures are software based, it’s always possible these will change as time goes on. As mentioned before, Touch ID has been replaced with Face ID, which uses the iPhone X front facing cameras to unlock your device by looking at your phone and recognizing your face.
An optional AirPower charging mat will be available in 2018 and allow for plug less charging using Qi charging, similar to how the Apple Watch is charged. This is sometimes referred to as ‘wireless’ charging but keep in mind the mat is still plugged into a wall with a wire.
iPhone X Pricing Starts at $999
The iPhone X is available in 64GB and 256GB sizes and pricing starts at $999.
The larger 256GB iPhone X model will be priced at $1150.
iPhone X Pre-Orders Start October 27, Release Date of November 3
For those interested in pre-ordering iPhone X, you can do so on October 27.
iPhone X will be available in stores and ship on the release date of November 3.
(iPhone X shown next to iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus)
Want to see more iPhone X? Check out the video below from Apple to walk through the design and features: