How to Use Gmail in Basic HTML Mode
You can switch Gmail to Basic HTML view and back to Standard Gmail View at any time, this article will show you how to do that.
How to Switch Gmail to HTML Basic View
- Open a web browser and go to Gmail.com and log in as usual
- After you’re logged into Gmail, open this link to load Basic HTML Gmail: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/
- Look at the top of the screen and choose “Set basic HTML as default view” to always load Gmail as Basic HTML in the current web browser
Using Gmail in HTML Simple view will remove some features from the Gmail webmail client, including autocorrect, chat, rich formatting, keyboard shortcuts, and some other functions you may like. Nonetheless, Gmail in HTML mode is highly usable and excellent for many purposes. If you’re curious what it looks like, here’s an example screenshot of Gmail in Basic HTML view:
Note if you use multiple web browsers to access Gmail and want to use HTML view in each of those browsers, you will need to set this change in each of those web browsers individually.
How to Switch Gmail HTML View to Standard View
Of course you an always switch back from Gmail Simple HTML view to Gmail Standard View at any time.
- Go to Gmail.com and log in if you have not done so already
- Open the following Gmail URL to switch back to Standard view: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?nocheckbrowser
Gmail Standard View is the default for Gmail web mail, with the full feature set and functionality you may have come to expect.
Remember, GMail Basic HTML View is intended to be a simplified and stripped down webmail client, and while it has many uses for a wide variety of situations and is excellent for low bandwidth environments offering an excellent alternative method of using the Gmail web email client, it’s not for everyone, and it’s probably not for everyday use by most users.
If you have any other interesting tips or thoughts about using Gmail in HTML basic mode, share with us in the comments below!