MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 Update & Security Updates for Mojave & High Sierra Released
Apple has released MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 for Mac users running Catalina. The MacOS 10.15.5 update includes a few new features including a new battery management function for laptops, along with bug fixes and security improvements.
Additionally, new security updates are available for Mac users running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.
How to Download & Install MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 Update
Always backup the Mac with Time Machine before installing updates to system software.
- Go to the Apple menu, then choose “System Preferences”
- Choose the “Software Update” preference panel
- Select to update to MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 update
You’ll need sufficient free disk space available to install any software update, and the Mac will require a reboot to complete installation of the software update.
For Macs running earlier system software versions including MacOS Mojave and High Sierra, you’ll find new Security Updates and Safari updates available to as updates to download. Updating is the same using Software Update in MacOS System Preferences.
MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 & Security Update 2020-003 Download Links
Mac users can also choose to install MacOS 10.15.5 or the security updates manually through package update files available from Apple using the links below. Using a combo update with Mac OS is simple and similar to installing any other software from a downloaded package.
- MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 Standard Update
- MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 Combo Update
- Security Update 2020-003 for High Sierra
- Security Update 2020-003 for MacOS Mojave
If you use the package installers, the Mac will still need to reboot to complete installation.
MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 Release Notes
Release notes accompanying macOS 10.15.5 are as follows:
“macOS Catalina 10.15.5 introduces battery health management in the Energy Saver settings for notebooks, an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls, and controls to fine-tune the built-in calibration of your Pro Display XDR. The update also improves the stability, reliability, and security of your Mac.
Battery Health Management
– Battery health management to help maximize battery lifespan for Mac notebooks
– Energy Saver preference pane now displays battery condition and recommends if the battery needs to be serviced
– Option to disable battery health management
– For more information, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211094
FaceTime Prominence Preference
– Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks
Calibration Fine-Tuning for Pro Display XDR
– Controls to fine-tune the built-in calibration of your Pro Display XDR by adjusting the white point and luminance for a precise match to your own display calibration target
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
– Fixes an issue that may prevent Reminders from sending notifications for recurring reminders
– Addresses an issue that may prevent password entry on the login screen
– Fixes an issue where System Preferences would continue to show a notification badge even after installing an update
– Resolves an issue where the built-in camera may not be detected when trying to use it after using a video conferencing app
– Addresses an issue for Mac computers with the Apple T2 Security Chip where internal speakers may not appear as a sound output device in Sound preferences
– Fixes a stability issue with uploading and downloading media files from iCloud Photo Library while your Mac is asleep
– Resolves a stability issue when transferring large amounts of data to RAID volumes
– Fixes an issue where the Reduce Motion Accessibility preference did not reduce the speed of animations in a FaceTime group call”
Separately, iPhone and iPad users are able to download and install iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5 on newer model devices, and iOS 12.4.7 on older iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad models. There are also software updates available for watchOS and tvOS through those respective settings apps on Apple Watch and Apple TV.