iOS 14.4.2 & iPadOS 14.4.2 Update with Security Fix Released
Apple has released iOS 14.4.2 and iPadOS 14.4.2 for iPhone and iPad users. The update is small but includes an important security fix, and is therefore recommended for all iPhone and iPad users running an iOS 14 or iPadOS 14 release.
Additionally, iOS 12.5.2 was released for older iPhone and iPad models to address the same security concern for those devices incapable of running iOS 14.
Apple Watch users will also find watchOS 7.3.3 available with the same security fix.
How to Download & Update iOS 14.4.2 & iPadOS 14.4.2
The Settings app in iOS/iPadOS is the simplest way to install software updates:
- Open “Settings” app on iPhone or iPad
- Go to “General”
- Choose “Software Update”
- Choose to “Download and Install” for iOS 14.4.2 / iPadOS 14.4.2
If your device is running iOS 12 instead you will find iOS 12.5.2 available to update.
The update is fairly small, around 200mb, and will require the device to restart to complete installation.
Optionally, users can also update iOS or ipadOS through a computer by using Finder on modern macOS versions, or iTunes on older Mac OS and Windows versions.
Advanced users can also install software updates through the use of IPSW firmware files, which is also done through Finder or iTunes.
iOS 14.4.2 & iPadOS 14.4.2 ISPW Direct Download Links
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE – 2nd generation
- iPhone SE – 1st generation
- iPod touch – 7th generation
- 12.9 inch iPad Pro – 4th generation (2020)
- 12.9 inch iPad Pro – 3rd generation (2018)
- 12.9 inch iPad Pro – 2nd generation
- 12.9 inch iPad Pro – 1st generation
- 11 inch iPad Pro – 1st generation (2018)
- 11 inch iPad Pro – 2nd generation (2020)
- 10.5 inch iPad Pro – 1st generation
- 9.7 inch iPad Pro
- 10.2 inch iPad – 8th generation
- 10.2 inch iPad – 7th generation
- iPad – 5th generation
- iPad – 6th generation
- iPad Air – 3rd generation
- iPad Air – 4th generation
- iPad Air 2
- iPad mini – 5th generation
- iPad mini 4
iOS 14.4.2 / iPadOS 14.4.2 Release Notes
Release notes for the security update are very brief:
This update improves important security updates and is recommended for all users.
In the separate security document,
Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to universal cross site scripting. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.
For more information: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222