Fix “Confirm Mac Password” to Keep Using iCloud in System Settings

Dec 29, 2022 - 11 Comments

Confirm Mac Password message in System Settings

Some Mac users have discovered a “Confirm Mac Password” message in System Settings or System Preferences on their Mac, and while it can appear at random, it often shows up soon after installing a system software update. For example, perhaps you recently installed macOS Ventura 13.1 onto a Mac and now you see the “Confirm MacBook Pro Password” message in System Settings.

The full message reads something like “Confirm your device passcode to keep using iCloud. This passcode also protects access to data stored in iCloud”.

Finding this message requesting you to confirm the device passcode within the  Apple menu > System Settings is a legitimate message, and it’s easy to resolve for the majority of situations.

How to Fix the “Confirm Mac Password” Message in System Settings / Preferences

1. Go to the  Apple menu and choose ‘System Settings’ or ‘System Preferences’
  2. Click on the “Confirm Mac Password” message at the top of the settings menu
  3. Click on ‘Continue’ and enter the password you use to login to your Mac
  4. Confirm Mac Password in System Settings on MacOS

5. In a moment the password will confirm and the message will go away

That should be it, and you’re good to go with using iCloud and the Mac again.

Remember, the password this is asking for is the password you use to login to your Mac. It is not necessarily the same as your iCloud password (and most security experts would argue you should use different passwords for everything, just don’t forget them).

You can also sometimes encounter the confirm device password message on your iPhone or iPad in Settings on those devices, and the resolution is the same.

I’m still seeing the ‘Confirm Mac Password’ error and it’s not going away, now what?

Make sure you are entering the proper Mac password, which is the password you use to log into your Mac user account. Entering the wrong password is the most common reason users have issues with dispelling the error message.

Sometimes, you can reboot the Mac, and the message will go away entirely.

Rarely, you may need to log out of iCloud and back in to get the “Confirm Mac Password” message to go away. Because signing out of iCloud causes files, photos, and data on the Mac to disappear and (and reappear as you log back in) this is inconvenient and should be the absolute last resort to resolve this issue.

Were you able to resolve the ‘Confirm Mac Password’ message on your Mac by entering the proper password, or did you have another solution to this issue? Let us know your experiences in the comments.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. David says:

Tried all suggestions except the icloud scrubbing to no avail. Looking forward to the fix for my Mac and my iPhone

2. Ron says:

Yeah; suggested solutions don’t work.

3. BigD says:

Well it appeared about a week ago and never had it before. No matter what it shows up every day. This did nothing to FIX it. We all know how to CLICK it and enter the password. We need it to stope

4. Chris says:

Having this issue with Macbook Pro (2018) 13″ with OS 13.1. Started after installing 13.1. The password isn’t the issue because it’s the same one I used to log into the computer. There has to be a better solution than logging out of iCloud, losing all of the files, and downloading them again after logging into iCloud. Not thrilled with Apple right now on this one…

5. Chris says:

Hi, had the same issue and even NVRAM Reset didn’t work, but what worked (after NVRAM Reset) was when I rested the SMC (google for “Apple Reset SMC”), then the correct password was accepted…

6. Chris says:

Hi, had the same issue and even NVRAM Reset didn’t work, but what worked (after NVRAM Reset) was when I rested the SMC (google for “Apple Reset SMC”), then the correct password was accepted.

7. Lance says:

Removing iPad beta profile was the only thing that worked for me.

8. monk1950 says:

my macbook and imac both say ‘update apple id settings’ versus the verbiage noted in the article.
    i’ve repeatedly typed in my apple id name and p/w to no avail.
    getting frustrated, i think/hope the next update will make it go away.

9. Art Busbey says:

Every time my Mac mini goes to sleep when it wakes up it asks me to Confirm the iCloud password to keep using iCloud. It has only done this the last three Ventura updates (including the release version) but it is persistent. How do I fix this?

10. Chris says:

This just appeared tonight but won’t accept my password. I know it’s the correct password because i restarted the MacBook Pro and logged into my account when the popup wouldn’t take my password prior. Any assistance on how to fix this without logging out of iCloud or some other stupid, tedious solution would be great.