Separate Backgrounds in OS X Spaces

Feb 20, 2009 - 10 Comments

Update: Different wallpapers for different spaces is now a feature of Mac OS X Lion, here’s how to use it.

Spaces. Personally, it is my favorite addition to Apple’s Leopard operating system. I have become very accustomed to working with Spaces and have long desired the ability to set a different background for each virtual “space”. That is now possible thanks to SpaceSuit. Installation of SpaceSuit is a breeze and setting your backgrounds involves a simple drag and drop. The only downside or complaint I have thus far is that I can not figure out how to set unique backgrounds across my multiple monitors. Maybe a reader out there has figured out how to do this and can chime in. Anyways, Enjoy.

Posted by: Bill Ellis in Customize, Fun, How to, Mac OS X, OS X Apps

1. Lino Silva says:

Honestly, I don’t really like SpaceSuit.
    Tried it for about a week and I guess I found the transition between spaces quite rudimentary. It may please some other users like yourself, though! :-)
    Regards,
    Lino Silva

2. [...] OS X Daily wrote an interesting post today on Separate Backgrounds in OS X SpacesHere’s a quick excerpt Spaces. Personally, it is my favorite addition to Apple’s Leopard operating system. I have become very accustomed to working with Spaces and have long desired the ability to set a different background for each virtual “space”. That is now possible thanks to SpaceSuit. Installation of SpaceSuit is a breeze and setting your backgrounds involves a simple drag and drop. The only downside or complaint I have thus far is that I can not figure out how to set unique backgrounds across my multiple monit [...]

3. Vuulf says:

To the author: If you run your dual head system in spanned mode (IE: 3200×1200, etc) simply create a wallpaper that is composed of two 1600×1200 images in one image and apply it as your desktop wallpaper. Should even work with this app :)

4. bull 100 says:

Very useful website, wants to see much more on it! Go on!

5. tv series says:

6. kumar says:

7. Kári Emil says:

I have a different desktop image set for my Xerox monitor. I just opened the system preferences on that screen and then moved it to the main display on my MacBook and set a different one there. It is always kept, when I plug in the monitor, the image I set for it appears again.

8. allegra says:

9. jji7skyline says:

Just to tell you that Lion OSX (10.7) has implemented this. Just go to a new desktop space and change the desktop background. It will stay that way even after reboot, sleep/wake etc.