Batch Rename Files in Mac OS X with Name Mangler
If you have a bunch of files you need renamed on your Mac then Name Mangler is where it’s at. You can easily batch rename tons and tons of files just by dragging and dropping them into the application. Name Mangler goes beyond just renaming something from file1 to file2 though, there are many more advanced batch renaming capabilities including:
* Find and Replace (find all instances of Blah in filename_Blah and replace with Wow)
* Number Sequentially (file1, file2, file3)
* Change Case (caps to lowercase, vice versa)
* Set an Extension (make all files .txt or the like)
* Add a Prefix or Suffix (Filename.jpg to Filename-trip.jpg)
* Remove or Insert Characters
* and more in the advanced settings…
Name Mangler is free to download and use. It’s donation wear so if you like it enough, let the developer know with your wallet. Name Mangler was free to use and used to be donation wear, but now the developer is charging $10… thank you to treks for pointing this out in the comments. You can still download a free trial of Name Mangler though, and if you like the app it may very well be a worthwhile purchase for you.
The interface is pretty straightforward, and it works in modern versions of OS X:
Another similar utility worth checking out is a free tool called Name Changer, which is a donationware app instead of a paid program. It’s also a great utility that serves more or less the same function, but which app you prefer to use may be a matter of personal preference.
What do you think? Do you prefer Name Mangler or NameChanger? Do you think there’s a difference in the quality of the apps, being paid vs free?