Command line cheat sheet – learn the command line with a background picture

Oct 1, 2010 - 11 Comments

command line cheat sheet

If you’re new to using the command line and trying to learn the Terminal, setting a cheat sheet as your background picture can be a pretty helpful trick to help remember commands.

This cheat sheet background was intended for Linux users but the majority of the commands work in Mac OS X too. The picture includes: file commands, ssh, installation and building from source (will require dev tools), network basics, system info, searching, process management commands, file permissions, compression, general command line shortcuts, and VIM.

You can grab the full resolution (2500×1600) version here.

Thanks to Peter for sending this in, you can also check out more of our command line tips too.

Update: as a few commenters pointed out, the originally sourced image contained a joke that was not particularly funny, the picture has been changed. There is no command to ‘make your computer faster’ !

Posted by: Manish Patel in Command Line, Tips & Tricks

1. Dave says:

One thing I’ve read about this command-line stuff is how important it is to get things exactly right, because a command that’s mistyped can cause problems.

If that’s so, how concerned should we be about a cheat sheet which contains the word “direcotry” (as in “mkdir dir – create direcotry dir”)?

(Seriously, the wallpaper’s a great idea, and clearly that particular typo is within a description not an actual command – but are there any other possible problems in there for the unwary?)

• Manish says:

Dave,

Yes typing things correctly is very important.

On that note, the original image contained a somewhat common joke in the Linux world regarding the ‘rm’ command that is not helpful to novice command line users. The claim was that it makes your computer faster and this is false, it removes files.

The image has been changed, it is a good idea to update to the newer image.

2. simon says:

“make computer faster” are you sure? make the computer very clean….

3. Steve Bowers says:

The rm ha-ha is exactly why I hate the Linux world, those neckbeards think it’s just so cute to pray on beginner knowledge levels forgetting that they too had to learn at one time.

4. Anton says:

Here’s another

bg, fg, etc doesn’t work in Mac OS X

• Kirt says:

yes they do, you are probably just doing it wrong. it’s not very apparent in the way this image shows. bg and fg are used after hitting ctrl+z, for example.

Try this.

$ ping google.com
      ctrl+z
      $ fg (restarts ping google.com in the terminal)

OR

$ bg (restarts ping google.com in the background)

If you “bg” a command, you will still see the output of the command, but you can input new commands. Try it.

5. machead says:

This is a cool background! I saw this after the image had been updated. :-)

I fixed the typo with Gimp on my copy. Not too difficult to carefully cut the misspelled word, fill with black, and then insert a correctly spelled word. I still need to airbrush the new word slightly, but I like it better spelled right.

6. machead says:

I rethought my Gimp fix for the typo; there is a link for the corrected image. Enjoy!

• Manish says:

To anyone using this version, remember that the rm -rf command does not make a computer faster, it removes files.

7. machead says:

Ooops, I didn’t mean to use that version for posting. :D Let me make up a new one using the correct version. I have the “joke” one on my desktop just for grins because I know what it really does.

8. machead says:

UPDATE:

Here is the fixed image WITHOUT the rm -rf haha:

If you should want a fixed image WITH the haha: