How to jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS with Limera1n
Limera1n jailbreak was just released, allowing you to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on the iPhone 4 iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPod touch 3G and 4G. It’s not the simplest jailbreak in the world but it’s also not the most difficult, just follow the instructions and you should be able to get it working. We’re going to cover using limera1n with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
How to jailbreak the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS with limera1n
First, before you do any jailbreak, backup your iPhone!
- Download the Limera1n jailbreak app from here (Windows and Mac versions available)
- Connect the iPhone to your computer and launch the limera1n app
- Click on “make it ra1n”
- limera1n will now place your iPhone in recovery mode, follow the instructions carefully
- When prompted, press both the home and power buttons
- When prompted, release the power button but continue to hold the home button
- Your iPhone will now be in DFU mode, continue to hold the home button
- You’ll notice the limera1n logo appear on your iPhone (or iPod touch, iPad, etc)
- When the jailbreak is completed, you’ll see the ‘done’ message from the limera1n app
- Now you need to restart your iPhone, so boot the device as usual
- Notice the newly installed limera1n app on your iPhone screen, tap the app to launch it, and then select Cydia to install it
- After Cydia is installed, you’ll want to reboot your iPhone again
- At this point you can uninstall the limera1n app since it is no longer needed
That’s all there is to it, enjoy your jailbroken iPhone!
There’s certainly more steps to limera1n than there is to the super easy jailbreakme but that’s the price you pay for jailbreaking iOS 4.1 on the iPhone 4 I guess right? I think the other thing that makes this a little more complicated to the less geeky is the le3tsp34k within the jailbreak app, which looks like gibberish to those who don’t know what it is.
Limera1n also works on the iPad and iPod touch 3G and iPod touch 4G, and the process is very similar. Again, just be sure to follow the instructions and you’ll get it working.
Enjoy the jailbreak!
Update: In case you missed it, Limera1n for Mac was just released.