iTunes Playlists Disappeared? Recover Missing iTunes Playlists Easily

Dec 7, 2010 - 48 Comments

fix itunes missing playlists

If you have updated iTunes or moved your iTunes music library you may find that your song playlists seem to have disappeared. The good news is they aren’t actually missing, iTunes just isn’t finding them. There is no bad news, because you can recover the playlists rather easily, here’s how:

Recover missing iTunes playlists

This will work to rebuild missing iTunes playlists in Mac OS X and Windows.

• Quit iTunes
  • Open the iTunes Music folder, on a Mac this is by default in ~/Music/ and in Windows it’s in \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\ or \Username\My Music\
  • Drag the file labeled “iTunes Music Library.xml” to your desktop
  • Drag the “iTunes Library” file to the desktop as well (make sure this is no longer in your iTunes folder at all)

recover itunes playlists

• Now relaunch iTunes
  • Before doing anything else, go to File -> Library -> Import Playlist
  • Now navigate to your desktop to the “iTunes Music Library.xml” file that you placed there earlier and select it
  • iTunes will recreate your playlists, and any iOS devices you have synced with iTunes will resync their playlists as well

The reason we are ensuring these files are on the desktop is to have a backup in the odd case that the rebuild doesn’t work. You’ll notice after you have reimported the playlists that the ‘iTunes Music Library.xml’ file will be rebuilt in your iTunes Music directory, once everything is functioning you can safely delete those files from the desktop.

I’m not really sure why the iTunes playlists disappear during some transfers and updates, but it seems to happen randomly. The last time I ran into this I was moving iTunes music from a PC to a new Mac which worked wonderfully until I discovered none of the playlists were there. Just moving the file and then reimporting it did the trick though.

Posted by: William Pearson in iTunes, Troubleshooting

1. mowpow says:

ahh this happened to me a few months ago and I didn’t know what to do so I remade them by hand, damn!

2. pallmall says:

Thanks for the info! It was very helpful this morning.

3. Kieren says:

Does anyone know how long is process takes, as mine still says importing “itunes Music Library’ and its been around an hour now.. i did have around 100 playlist and 7000 songs.

4. Kieren says:

Just as i asked that it started repopulating but still no songs in my playlist’s, just duplicated all the playlist with nothing in them!

5. DJ Mozaic says:

Kieren, I encountered the exact same thing. The names of all my playlists are there but the song contents are missing.

6. Julianne says:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    I had many carefully compiled playlists that all disappeared during an update (the music did, too – but through apple help I “found” where it had gone and had to reimport it all (talk about hours of transfer……but at least the computer did it by itself once I told it what I wanted! and THANK HEAVENS my original library was on a separate drive!) That said, iTunes offered NO helpful advice on recovering the lost playlists (which still have a weird thing going on – each folder lists ALL the music on my drive – but the individual playlists in the folders are what they were before……so I can live with that)……then……VOILA! Your clear and totally effective help was here……THANK YOU!! (yes, I know, repetitive – but it bears repeating!!)

7. lurice0 says:

scroll your mouse over PLAYLISTS on the left sidebar. Show or Hide will come up to the left of the word PLAYLISTS. Click on Show or Hide and your PLAYLISTS will Show or Hide. Simple but it happened to me on a PC for no raisin.

• Jeffery says:

Mine were just hidden, thanks for posting this.
      Unfortunately I did the steps above before reading your post and now I have duplicates of all my playlists… better than none!

• AlanS says:

lurice0, MANY thanks for posting this tip. I was sure that my daughter’s cat had deleted my playlists — I had no idea the Show/Hide control even existed! Two hours of panic, followed by sweet relief.

8. Rob Satori says:

I did the above at first with no result because prior to finding this gem, I lost my files and then clicked the find my media button. Big mistake – as that changed iTunes Music Library file and included everything on my computer (lots of stuff with no playlsts).

GOOD NEWS! I found another way to salvage the files via one further step. I located the last decent looking .tmp file that was made a few days prior automatically in iTunes during a music purchase…and renamed it to “iTunes Music Library” and did all the other steps as written above Oila! All the playlists are back and saved with cue times and all other info.

• John says:

Hi Rob, I know this was a long time ago, but did a real long time to regain your tunes back to itunes? My windows explorer is just saying connecting with the connecting bar about a 3rd of the way up. After I double clicked Music Library this is what is happening. It may be ok but thought I’d ask. Thank you. John

9. Jak says:

Thanks a ton! Amazing.

10. Linda says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I got a new laptop and migrated everything from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (not without a lot of trouble). WHen I upgraded my iPad software tonight and sync’d my iTunes, it deleted all of the playlists. The system replaced the XML file, so I had to restore it from a back up. It worked like a charm!! Your tip saved me hours of aggravation!

11. Heather says:

This doesn’t work for me :(:(:( I’ve tried twice, two different ways from the external hd I’m using to transfer data from old Vista laptop to new Windows 7 computer, and no dice! Its just doubling the generic playlists… Any other advice?

12. Nareena says:

Thanks for this post and thread. I have been wracking my brain to fix my playlists that went missing a few days ago thanks to an iTunes update. I could see the actual playlists as separate files but not remember/figure out how to import them to iTunes correctly.

Hopefully this will work for me. I lost a couple hundred playlists in the update. I’m leaving the import to work its magic overnight. There’s about 1/2 tb of music and audio files to update all over again. I wish I’d known this trick before. I’ve manually re-created all of my playlists at least twice in the past from things like this happening.

Thanks!

13. […] you have updated¬†iTunes or¬†moved your iTunes music library you may find that your song playlists seem to have disappeared. […]

14. Martha says:

what I cant find are the folder playlist.
    I did follow the instructions , but they didnt appear, What can I do!?

thanks a lot

15. Greg says:

It worked! Luckily, I backed up my iTunes on my external hard drive.

16. Valerie says:

My problem is that the file iTunes Library does not contain all of my music. I recently burned a cd and that is all that is there. I used to have 3000+ songs in iTunes and they are gone. My folders only contain that one cd. I have NO idea what happened or how to fix it!

17. Wayne says:

Very disappointing, spent days creating my playlist! What a complete waste of time, get your crap together Apple this fix didn’t recover the playlists.

18. Julie says:

Thank you for posting this! You saved my marriage.

19. Laura says:

This did not fix my playlists – just duplicated empty versions of the generic playlists. I did notice before I tried to fix it, that one of my playlists (made my myself rather than the standard apple ones) had been duplicated but was empty. It was this extra copy that made me realise the rest of my playlists were nearly empty. They were ll there yesterday and I have only added 1 album since but about 6 albums are showing up (in total) in various playlists so I have no idea what is going on. Please say there is an actual fix that will get my playlists back!

20. Nathan says:

My computer recently crashed!!! Last time it did I was able to get all my music back no problem,but this time, I have absolutely nothing!!! Any possible way to get back the songs I payed for without paying another $50.00???

21. Alexza Hawley says:

Didn’t work for me. Followed the steps very carefully and still, itunes did not “find” my “lost” playlists.
    Rebuilt them by hand. Great way to start the day.

22. Carol says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you – and, did I say, thank you!!!! Retrieved 2500 songs and 34 playlists successfully – thank you!!!

23. Lesley Hulyd says:

Hi, Just wondering how I reverse the playlist disappearing process, it didn’t work and I lost other playlists, thanks so much.

24. Jennifer says:

Didn’t work for me either. Tried several of the “Previous iTunes Libraries” and none seems to have my Playlists. The following DID work, however, and quite painlessly:

25. […] is a great solution if you’ve lost playlists from iTunes and the standard recovery process didn’t work, or if you’ve just spent a lot of time customizing playlists directly on an […]

26. Ric says:

Hey tried it and it didn’t recover the actual playlist on my iPod. My other play lists are there but this one playlist (which happened to be my best and biggest…grrrrr!) is gone. It only disappeared when I plugged it in to add more music.

This solution seems to restore the itunes list but not the playlists physically on my iPod. Help!!

27. Ed says:

thanks! that did the trick.

28. Mandip says:

Hi I was being clever and deleted my playlists from my iphone, when I plugged into itunes, ALL my playlists from my mac deleted. I have tried to restore the play lists like advised above, but it has not put any of the playlists into itunes and no music has gone into the folders. ~really annoying!! can anyone help. I have tried to put some playlists together manually, as I did this, I was thinking would this deter the restore and this is why its not working?? what can I do, I am djing in less than two days… HELPPPPPPPP??
    PLeaseeeeeeee.

29. Geoff Read says:

Hi,

Thanks – trying it now. Probably too late for me though… my library and playlists disappeared. Recovered the library and the playlists returned… with nothing in them. So I’m trying this out. We’ll see.

This happened to me as a result of subscribing to I-Tunes Match, which I have to say does not work. Of the over 10,500 songs in my library it declared about 1,200 of them “ineligible” including recently uploaded songs from legally purchased CDs. It makes no sense. I was already seriously annoyed. Then this happened with my playlists and library.

30. Geoff Read says:

Yep. Didn’t work. Thanks though – at least now I’ll know what to do if it happens again.

31. Katie says:

I tried to do this, but it didn’t work. Is there a way to undo what I did when I moved them to the desktop? My music files are scattered and would take forever to locate them all again! PLEASE HELP!

• jordyn says:

open up the itunes folder again and drag the two things you dragged onto your desktop, back into the itunes folder and it should be all good

32. joneslloyd says:

Thanks, this was extremelyhelpful and very clear instructions

33. Newest update (yesterday) lost about 2/3 of my playlists. The suggested solution did not work. Still most are gone. Very sad.

34. Maddawg says:

I backed up my itunes library to my external hard drive yesterday and now my playlists have ‘gone’ (are still there but with no songs) this is on both my mac and ipod. I tried this method and it didnt work just duplicated the playlists empty. can anyone help me as I dont really want to remake my playlists again.

35. Paul says:

My PC crashed and left me with the blue screen of death. Didn’t have iTunes backed up properly, couldn’t find the iTunes Library file… but when I did, this worked like the dickens. Really, a million thanks for your help.

36. Liam says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I transferred all our iTunes library to an external hard drive this morning and ‘lost’ all my playlists when I re-directed the library! This way of getting them back worked 100%. I was so worried but can now breathe a sigh of relief :) Thanks again!

37. Maria says:

Thank you so much My operating system was corrupt so had to return to factory settings and back up from an external hard drive..thought I had lost all my itunes and play lists..thank you again:)

38. Kris says:

THANK YOU- I did an itunes update and everything was wiped out, I was near tears, but this was SO easy and worked perfectly!!! amazing!!

39. Mike says:

Didn’t work, now we got doubles

40. Gary says:

Perfect! I had never lost my playlists before and I don’t know why I did. I was on the phone with a “senior” supervisor, who was telling me to import the .itl file. When that didn’t work, I suggested your fix. He insisted that the .xml file did not contain playlist information and that if the .itl file didn’t work, I was out of luck. With nothing to lose, and while I still had him on the phone, I tried your fix. BAM! The playlists all popped up with the contents intact. I suspect all along that this would work because when I put the title of one of the playlists that I happened to remember in the Windows search bar, the .xml file popped up. So I knew it had to be in that .xml file somewhere! Thanks again. Not only did your fix work, but it was so easy to follow, especially with the picture included. I’m a professional musician, so these playlists meant a lot to me. You were a “lifesaver!”

41. Kate says:

I’ve clicked ‘File’ then ‘Library’ and there’s no import playlists option :S Please Help!

42. LuluIzzyCro says:

I have all my iTunes (3600 songs and 15 playlists) on an external hard drive and want to keep it there. My laptop crashed and had to start from zero again. I downloaded iTunes and it was empty. I transferred my iTunes library to the laptop. 300 of my 3600 songas ar enow duplicated and I have lost all my playlists. What did i do wrong? I want to fix this even if I have to start over.

43. Masterfarter says:

This worked best for me.. (I’m using windows 7)
    If i confuse you try to follow the address below..

1: I made a backup on a external hard drive (Just incase you go wrong). Copy your whole iTunes folder to a hard drive (my documents-> music-> iTunes)

Done that..

2:Make sure iTunes is closed – You can restart your computer if you paranoid like me..

3:Follow exactly as i say..

4:Click mouse once on iTunes icon (you want to highlight icon – do not open iTunes yet!!)

5:Hold down shift key and press enter while holding shift key.. (Keep holding shift key until a small window opens – if iTunes opens close it and try again..)

6:Now a little window will pop up (iTunes will not be open yet – if it is close everything and go back to step 3!!)
    Now in the window are only three options (Quit – Choose Library – Create library)

7:Click – Choose Library
    (Your iTunes folder will open (iTunes is not open yet))

8:Now you should see a 3/4 folders and one iTunes icon that says (iTunes Library.itl) Now highlight that (.itl file) and click open..

9:Presto!! Now iTunes opens with all your music and playlists.
    (this works quite fast – I have an i5 and opened with playlists in less that 10 seconds)

10:Crack a beer and turn up the volume.. :D