Enable MMS on unlocked T-Mobile iPhone with iOS 4.2.1
One of the joys of unlocking an iPhone is being able to use it on another network of your choosing. A friend of mine just got an unlocked iPhone to work on T-Mobile, but she was disappointed to find out that MMS didn’t work by default. In versions prior to iOS 4.2.1 you can usually just set carrier settings and things work fine, but since iOS 4.2.1 you’ll need to manually edit some configuration files to enable iPhone MMS functionality on the USA T-Mobile network.
This is obviously only relevant to those with unlocked iPhones on T-Mobile. If you are interested in jumping to a different carrier, you might want to read “can I unlock my iPhone?” and then learn how to jailbreak and unlock iOS 4.2.1 with redsn0w and ultrasn0w.
Anyway, here is what worked to fix T-Mobile’s MMS with iPhone OS 4.2:
Enable MMS on T-Mobile with iPhone iOS 4.2.1
This works to enable both send and receive of MMS messages on an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone:
- SSH into the iPhone
- Navigate to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/
- Look for a file called “com.apple.mms_override.plist” and copy a backup of that file to your computer (you may want to make two copies)
- Open the newly copied com.apple.mms_override.plist file in a good text editor (TextWrangler for Mac, NotePad++ for Windows are good)
- Replace all data in the file with the following (click on “Download Raw” for easy copy/pasting without line numbers):
- Now save this file, be sure it’s saved in the same .plist format
- SSH back to your iPhone and replace the original “com.apple.mms_override.plist” file with the one you just created and saved
- Exit SSH and reboot the iPhone
You’re almost done, wait until the iPhone reboots and then you’ll need to adjust carrier MMS settings to fit T-Mobile’s network:
- Tap on Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network
- Adjust the settings as follows:
- Cellular Data APN: wap.voicestream.com
- MMS APN: wap.voicestream.com
- MMSC http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
- MMS Proxy 18.104.22.168:8080
- MMS Max Message Size 1048576
- MMS UA Prof URL http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
- Leave Username and Password empty
- Save the settings and reboot your iPhone again
Now MMS should work on your unlocked iPhone with OS 4.2.1 on T-Mobiles network.
This solution was discovered on T-Mobiles message boards which are full of helpful iPhone unlock tips for that network. It’s somewhat humorous, but at least half of the ‘Non T-Mobile Phone’ board is related to unlocked iPhones running on their network. T-Mobile should really just offer the iPhone themselves officially, a large user base is using one anyway.
On a related note, it looks like some of the problem with sending and receiving MMS messages on T-Mobile iPhones is that there is a message size limit. This limitation may depend on your data plan with them.