Apple Stores to Eliminate Retail Box Software in Favor of Mac App Store

Feb 7, 2011 - 6 Comments

apple removing retail software box

Apple is planning to eliminate traditional retail box software in their stores in favor of digital distribution through the Mac App Store, according to a report from MacRumors. Apparently they heard the rumor from someone, and then cite Apple’s new “Personal Setup for Mac” walkthrough service as further evidence of the move.

Installing software through the Mac App Store is certainly more convenient than using a physical installation DVD, but there are some issues with this method. As MacGasm points out, several major software companies have yet to board the Mac App Store train, some may never jump ship, most notably Adobe and Microsoft with their high priced productivity suites. The solution to this might be in the form of USB based software installers, like the reinstallation drive that comes with the 2010 MacBook Air, which would be a welcome change.

Perhaps we’ll see this change in place by the launch of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?

Posted by: William Pearson in News, Rumor

1. Jason says:

Good, I have a MacBook Air, DVD installers are a PAIN. USB or Digital, good riddance to old media standards.

2. Louis says:

Further proof that CD’s will go extinct.

3. Strategically this makes sense if they are trying to drive traffic to the Appstore. I can’t recall the last time I purchased software “in-a-box.”

I can’t help to wonder though if they are leaving any money on the table. If I’m going to the Apple Store to purchase something I may impulse buy some software.

4. John says:

Not sure if I fully agree with this idea. Sure I would like to see USB key installs sure; but I am wondering how this move to the Appstore would fit into corporate landscape with companies that field large numbers of Macs? I am not sure how that would fit or function.

5. clasqm says:

The only software I have installed from a physical disk in the last 6 years has been Microsoft Office ’11. And Adobe CS is probably also too big for a realistic download.

But if Apple is serious about making the App Store the main source of programs for the Mac, isn’t it time they leant on Filemaker, ***their own subsidiary***, to at least make Bento available there?

6. Nihar says:

I think this idea is a good one. It is almost time for all software requirements to be addressed by other software. Physical media just gets in the way.