Fix the “Cannot Connect to App Store” Error Message in the Mac App Store

Apr 4, 2011 - 32 Comments

cannot-connect-mac-app-store

If you’re trying to access the Mac App Store and you are getting the “Cannot Connect to App Store” error, there’s a couple simple fixes you should try. First, make sure you’re connected to the internet (duh), then:

1. Relaunch Mac App Store – Try this first, this is usually enough to resolve the connection problem
  2. Logout & Login – You can logout of the Mac App Store by selecting “Log Out” from the ‘Store’ menu. Re-enter your credentials and log back in, and you should connect as usual

If you’re still having problems connecting to the Mac App Store the store itself might actually be down, this happens from time to time when Apple is updating things. If you suspect this is to be the case, try connecting again in about an hour.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Troubleshooting

1. copper says:

The last time I encountered this was when a developer was raising their prices on an app I was trying to download!

2. kc_cramer says:

I just wish there was a way to disable the automatic Accessing iTunes Store process just to run iTunes. Apple wants it to be acceptable that it is a feature “by design”, but I would prefer to have it occur only if I want to connect. It’s just an irritating delay when I want to use iTunes, and the Cancel button responds so slowly it’s about the same delay either way.

3. Markus says:

I’m having this problem now. I have relaunched it numerous times in the last two days and I have logged in and out until I went blue in the face… it doesn’t even allow me to log in. Then my friend sits next to me and she goes into App Store without a problem and gets the software she is looking for, so I don’t think App Store is down.

• AP1973 says:

Hi Markus,

I’m having the same problem as you. I can login fine on my iMac, but right next to it on my MacBook Pro, no joy.

Did you have any luck resolving this? I know I have updates to get, but I can’t get at them!

Thanks

4. jekrov says:

I have the same problem, suddenly I can’t access the app store… I have been trying for a couple of days now… I just tried to log out and nog at can’t log back in!

5. Matt says:

The same thing has happened to me, i logged out and quit, then tried to log back in again and it does not let me, i have tried several times and it still is not working! help!

6. Kyle says:

I have OS X 10.6.8 on my macbook and I am trying to upgrade to lion. I was successful on my imac and would like to share the joy with my macbook. I have looked at countless sites. I have found the following suggestions:

1. If you have enabled spotlight, re-enable it. (but this means you at some point turned spotlight off).

2. Keychain issues. Utilities / Keychain Access / Preferences / Certificates / and turning OCSP to Off and CRL to Off.

3. But I have also read to do just the opposite of the above setting OCSP and CRL to Best Attempt and Priority to Require Both.

This is all I have uncovered and I am still pulling out my hair. HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

7. Kyle says:

I discovered my problem, maybe this will help someone:

It seems to be a common issue that somewhere along the road, you might have changed a setting and that is interfering with the app store. I kept thinking about what I might have done at work, as I bring my laptop to work. I figured it must have something to do with the proxy setting for work.

So I went into system preferences / Network / Advanced / Proxies / and turned off secure web proxy. I also turned off use passive FTP mode (PASV). I then clicked OK and Apply.

Problem solved and Lion is on its way home.

Good luck everyone!

8. Chris says:

It does not work on my iMac but does work flawlessly on my Macbook….

Both using same internet, same Apple ID… so it must be a different configuration on my iMac preventing it from working. Also the iMac can’t connect to do system updates.

9. AintnothintoaG says:

Exclude simple host names checked worked for me. Thanks for the tips….pay if forward…

10. Loy says:

Just try to empty cache from Safari, went fine for me

11. Joey says:

Im having a similar problem on my imac, connects fine in the Featured/top charts/categories tabs but not in purchases or updates tabs. I cant log in it tells me the connection failed even though my internet works fine as i am sending this message. My apple ID is active as i checked via email. Please help!

12. Joey says:

Also forgot to mention im running Mac OS X 10.6.8

13. Joey says:

Never mind i fixed the problem. I had Little snitch configuration set to block app store connection. If your having similar trouble & have little snitch installed, try going into little snitch settings & accept all connections for app atore.

14. David O'Donoghoe says:

For me? I reset my keychain. Worked a treat.

15. Will says:

I had this problem myself once then I realized that I had changed my date time while modding so games. Just make sure your date and time are on auto sync so that your computer doesnt think that it is may 25th 2010 like mine did lol.

16. Tanvi says:

try calling ur internet provider or apple

17. Someone says:

I am having problems, my App Store was working fine a few weeks ago, I could install apps and everything, but now all of a sudden, I click on the buy/free button of an app, and it comes up with the ‘install’ button, so I click on that, but nothing happens for about 10 minutes or so (just the little wheel spinning up the top), and then the screen comes up with: ‘Cannot Connect To App Store’. I have strong internet connection, I tried relaunching the App Store (with no success to the situation) and then I followed advice from this website to sign out of my account and log back in… but the only problem is, I can’t!! I click on the ‘sign-in’ button and nothing happens… no screens pop up or anything! Now I can’t even log back in to the store, and it’s still not working properly!! I can’t also create a new account, as the email address I used for my first account is the one I have to use again- but it says that the account name is already taken!! Does anyone have any advice on what to do?? That would be very appreciated. Thanks! :)

18. Adisa says:

This solved the problem for me. However you have to do EVERY blue cross item.

19. JP says:

I’ve had issues with the MAS for days: connexion failure with my loggin, unable to download updates…
    In fact it’s my date time! Now it’s working.

Thanks again

20. jason says:

I just went to network settings and unchecked all proxies and i could connect. hope this helps.

21. Steffane R says:

Will — Can I hug you? It worked and I have been doing all sorts of crazy programming thingys for DAYS now.

22. Gladys says:

I have the same problem as Joey: connects fine in the Featured/top charts/categories tabs but not in purchases or updates tabs. I cant log in or create a new account, it tells me the connection failed even though my internet works fine. My apple ID is active as I can purchase from my iPhone & iPad and I can connect to iTunes. None of the solutions above worked with me, unfortunately. Pls. help!! and tks.

23. Kevin says:

I am having exactly the same problem as Gladys documents, on two different systems.

HOWEVER, no problem on my laptop (knock on wood!).

Upgraded all three today to 10.7.5 via Software Update, but this problem existed before the update (I am pretty sure). Anyways, that same update has not messed up on my laptop.

So, not sure what to do to fix this.

I tried the “changing of the date and time” but that did not work.

I also went to network settings and could see that all proxies were already unchecked; so I check one, unchecked it, and I still cannot connect.

Well, I do not know what else to try…