Change a Login Name in Mac OS X
Want to change a user name that appears at the login screen of Mac OS X? It’s very easy to do:
- Open System Preferences and click on “Users & Groups”
- Select the users name you wish to change from the left side
- Look for “Full Name” on the right side options and click in the box, enter the administrator password to authenticate the name change
- Type the new name as you want it to appear at the login screen
- Exit out of System Preferences
Confirm the login name change took place by logging out or by locking the screen, both of which will bring you to the standard OS X login window. This is the same for OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
The full name/login name is not to be confused with the short user name of an account, which controls the directory name and SSH logins.