Use the App Store Without a Credit Card

Apr 2, 2012 - 29 Comments

Use App Store without credit card

Signing up to use the App Store requires a credit card, right? Wrong. We showed you how to use iTunes without a credit card, and it turns out you can do the same thing with the iOS and Mac App Store. This is a perfect solution for setting up an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac for a kid or for use in a public space, when you want to provide access to the free downloads and updates in the App Stores without the ability to make purchases through it. Even without a credit card attached to the Apple ID, you can add gift certificates and redeem codes through this account, making for an easy budgeting system should you wish to provide limited access to App Store purchases down the road.

How to Setup and Use iOS & Mac App Store With No Credit Card

Note: If you are having problems with the method described below, open a link to a free app available on the App Store first. That will allow the “none” payment option to be available.

• Open the iOS App Store or Mac App Store and click on “Account” from the right-hand side
  • If currently logged into an Apple account, click on “Sign Out” otherwise click the “Create Apple ID” button (alternatively, you can sign up on the web directly from Apple)
  • Agree to the Terms and Conditions and fill out the Apple ID creation page, set this up for a new email address than your primary app store account
  • At the “Provide a Payment Method” screen, select “None” as the payment option
  • Optionally, add a gift certificate to pad the account with an app purchase budget
  • Click “Create Apple ID” and verify the email address you provided earlier, your credit card free Mac App Store login is now active

Now log into the App Store with the newly created Apple ID and the user will be able to download any free apps or download updates to existing apps. The credit card free account can also redeem promo codes and add gift cards to their account should they need to make purchases.

Posted by: William Pearson in iPad, iPhone, iTunes, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. tricky business says:

Just on a side note, another option is a “Click & Buy” account (if you don’t have a credit card or a gift certificate). But keep in mind, when your “Click & Buy” account is out of balance … you will be fined a 15 euro (don’t know the exact amount they charge you in $) and your Apple ID will be on lock down until you make due on the negative “Click & Buy” balance / account. Reason for telling you this is because i am, currently, trying to get my Apple ID unlocked so i can update my apps again. iTunes support is currently in contact with me asking me all sorts of relevant question to verify me, as a person, before i can get access to my Apple ID again…

2. John says:

I just use the same Apple ID but turn off Purchases and In-App Purchases, that way all the downloads are kept under the same account. Juggling different Apple ID’s for family members is a mess that needs to be sorted out by Apple.

3. Jacques says:

I do not see the “none” button to click for payment. Where is that option on the page?

• dan says:

It is right next to the credit card logos, try the web setup if the app store method failed.

• Joe says:

No its not their for me either.

• MuTz777 says:

Depends on the country. Only US and other major stores have the none option. All other countries require an activation fee. Mostly this is around a $1. Therefore, they will not allow you to create an account without any form of payment.

The above blog post must be edited with that information. I tried it before. They charge you a dollar to create the account.

MuTz777

• daisuke says:

i am in japan.i have created an apple account without payment.i dont know how i did it.i wasnt even aware that we have to pay if we create an account until my cousin told me cz he failed himself.but i really dont know i how i made an account without being asked for a credit info..everytime i buy in the app store i can see the list of credit company names and the last option is the “none”…
            now i have bought a prepaid card-like but i dont know how to use it.anyone can help pls?

• daisuke says:

i got the answer for my question in the other link here…thank you guys ;)

• Marbry28 says:

me too.. I can’t find the “none” button.. it s#cks!

4. bArt says:

Hmmm… I was back here in the early days (even before the garden wall was erected!) and no way on gods wide earth was Apple getting my credit card no. (not very flush anyway) and they still haven’t god bless ‘em.
    When you go to get a Free download then there is the option to choose payment type none.

5. adem says:

yup, for us non US customers we can’t create an account without a credit card, previously we were able to create a US account without without a CC but know we to use a US VPN or a proxy server to connect to iTunes then create an account by downloading a free app.

6. alfreda says:

just bought my ipad. had initially registered my credit card but reset it then tried the suggestion above and it worked like a charm. thank you
    just select none then fill the area in red below it which is your name, address and phone number. viola

7. Anonymous says:

I have an Apple ID without a Credit Card attached to it.

I haven’t tried downloading apps with fees, what will happen if I download an application with fees? Will it be charged to me, even I dont have a credit card? Thank you.

8. TrollStatus says:

Anonymous — How are they going to charge you if you don’t have a credit card attached to the account? Are you retarded?

9. Paul says:

You can’t use an Apple Id on the AppStore without a credit card.
    - When you create the account use any valid credit card (you just need it for this step)
    - Then on iTunes go to Store > View My Account -> Payment Information and finally you can select “None” as payment method

10. jigar says:

but i dont have an credit card.

Why Apple hs made it compulsory to enter credit card or gift coupon???

Such a waste thing apple has done..

11. chinettta says:

i dont see the none button

12. Anita says:

Uhh..I live in the US and there is still no “none” option..wtf?

13. befreddie1 says:

All you aliens out there – put the CC number in.
    Go back in to appstore settings and you should see the ‘none’ button option offered now.
    After selecting that and saving you should see ‘no payment details on file’ or something similar.

Apple this is just gross incompetence.
    You’re getting worse every year.

14. [...] gift card balance will be transferred to the iTunes/App Store Account used, and yes it works on accounts made without credit cards on [...]

15. Vishal says:

I am from India. I tried changing the country to U.S. I even filled the details with an US address. Everything was fine and I got the none option. But at the final step i.e the verification step it kept on repeating Apple ID & Password entered incorrectly. What is this. My phone is useless without apps. Pls help me out of this.

16. bhuwnesh says:

Love You … You have Greatly Helped Me. Thank You.

17. [...] Apple ID. This applies the same to both iTunes & Apple accounts that have credit cards and those that do not. Additionally, a gift card redeemed in one store or service will be available as credit in another, [...]

18. Sanju says:

Im from india i cant see ‘none’ option what should i do..??

19. Meritxell says:

I cant access apps store due to my country that i cant found..i already fill my my billing method…im from andorra near spain