Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with Redsn0w

May 7, 2012 - 58 Comments

Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with Redsn0w

iOS 5.1.1 was just released by Apple and believe it or not has already been jailbroken for some A4 devices. The jailbreak remains tethered, for the uninitiated that means each time the iOS device is rebooted it will need to connect to a computer and boot with the assistance of redsn0w.

Compatibility for this jailbreak includes iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 1, and iPod touch 3rd and 4th gen. The iPad 2, iPhone 4S, or iPad 3 are not yet supported.

How to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with Redsn0w

As with any jailbreak, be sure to backup before proceeding.

1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.10b8b (Mac OS X, Windows)
  2. Upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 either by OTA update, iTunes, or by manually installing through IPSW
  3. Download iOS 5.1 IPSW for the device you are using and save it somewhere easy to find, yes download the older version of iOS despite upgrading to iOS 5.1.1
  4. Launch Redsn0w and click on “Extras”
  5. Click on “Select IPSW” and locate the iOS 5.1 IPSW you just downloaded
  6. Click “Back” and then click on “Jailbreak”
  7. Follow on-screen instructions to enter into DFU mode
  8. Let Redsn0w run and install the jailbreak, the iOS device will eventually reboot and look for the Cydia icon to confirm the jailbreak has worked

The need to select older IPSW will likely be eliminated in an upcoming release of redsn0w, but for the time being it remains necessary.

Remember to boot tethered every time you the device turns on and off, that is done by launching Redsn0w, selecting “Extras” and choosing “Just Boot” from the options.

Update: Redsn0w for 5.1.1 is now untethered, but you can also use Cydia to download “Rocky Raccoon” and untether this jailbreak after completion.

Posted by: Matt Chan in iPad, iPhone

1. Nyan Nguyen says:

Not worth the tethered boot IMO, wait for a real one. Jailbreaking is pretty ho-hum these days, though it once was crucial before the App Store!

2. bsdao says:

I did everything and got a white Cydia icon. Did the “just boot tethered” and it’s still white. Can’t figure out what’s wrong. I have a Verizon iPhone 4.

3. bsdao says:

Nevermind, it’s working now. I had to manually select the IPSW and then reboot tethered.

4. leo_dookie says:

Old bootrom no iphone 3gs ficou untethered, yesssss …

5. doctor pookie says:

I have a iphone 4 running with 5.0.1, which I have jailbroken with redsnow. but it still not unlocked. What am I missing ? How do I provider-unlock?

thanks

6. guy says:

im trying to download the ios 5.1 for my sprint phone does anyone know were I can find that please

7. ben says:

did everything no cydia at all help?

8. Alana says:

when i select the downloaded 5.1 for the IPSW it says “this ipsw is not supported by this version of redsn0w” what should i do?

9. Vasay says:

Yesterday I updated my iphone 4. Today download redsn0w_win_0.9.10b8b and right IPSW. Got the same mistake -That IPSW does not supported by this version of redsnow.So what should I do?
    Thanks

10. Ray says:

Vasay did you have luck with that?

• Vasay says:

Yes.Today finaly downloaded ipsw from step 3 for iphone 4. Using redsn0w and 5.1 successfuly made jailbreak.

11. Mike D says:

Ok so i have done everything pointed it to 5.1 but every-time i go to jailbreak it it fails….what could i be doing wrong?

12. sami says:

same issue with redsn0w not recognizing the 5.1 restore ipsw as valid. assistance someone?????

13. sai says:

i have an itouch 4th gen running on ios 5.1.1 if smthing goes wrong while jailbreaking will my itouch get bricked?????

14. del says:

i’m using iphone 4s and i try follow the instruction above but i can’t select the ipsw 5.1 that i download before…the msg ” that ipsw is not supported by this version of redsnow.” ” fingerprint a79658e7b14…………………..”
    plss someone help me …

15. drogan says:

downloading of jailbreak data on iphone4 verizon is taking a very long time. normal? had to restore last night, and upgraded to 5.1.1 how do i know its not stuck/ can i interrupt and restart?

16. Aditya says:

I have iPod 4g . Currently running 5.0 . I want to update to either 5.1 or 5.1.1 . But I downloaded the firmware and the latest redsn0w and when I point to the the ipsw ( 5.1) it says “That IPSW is not supported by this version of redsn0w” . I’ve triple checked the IPSW and it is correct . Help ?

17. Dre says:

Do we need tinyumbrella?

18. JohnMN says:

Will my Baseband be preserved doing this? It seems to me like it won’t… :/

19. Kelsey says:

I dont understand how to do this..
    Which one do you click to download this software the one at the top or the big green “download” button at the bottom? Help!!!

20. alex says:

having trouble… ok so i downloaded redsnow 0.9… for windows and i’m downloading 5.1 like it said on step 3 and i alreday have my ipod thouch 4 to 5.1.1 and i’m confused on the next steps?? please can someone else tell me what to do? please help!

21. ancil says:

not able to boot,what will I do?

22. sebastian says:

i was running an app from cidya but it was taking sooo long to load so i pressed the home and lock button making it restart, i have an unthedered jailbreaked 5.1.1 ipod from greenpoison, and now it wont turn back on can you tell me what to do, can i reboot with redsnow?

23. Shortii Blaze says:

I updated my ios to 5.1.1. And the Untethered jailbreak now i have no cydia app icon nor my contact icon camara app icon and afew icons that vanished what do i do?

24. David says:

Jeez, they mispelled “Rocky Racoon”; they spelled it “Rocky Raccoon” with a double “c”… That’s sure to get someone while searching for it…

25. glenn says:

hi, i jailbeaked my ipod with redsnow but now everytime my ipod is out of battery he falls out and i can’t turn it back on, i have to reboot it every time if my ipod is turned of. So if my battery is dead i can’t just reload my ipod som where else i have to reboot it every time

26. Jeremy says:

Had a Verizon iPhone, jailbroke it no problem. Got tired of Verizon’s crap, overpriced service, so I bought a GSM iPhone 4 and I’m on H20 now. Anyway, I’m in iHell (I’m working on trademarking that). Every single time I’ve tried jailbreaking with Redsn0w, I get a white Cydia icon. So I do the “Just boot” thing and it works…until I restart my phone. Then the Cydia app immediately force closes. Should I try a different JB app? Anybody have any ideas? I should note, I’ve tried the JB 2 different ways. First, I hit the jailbreak button and went from there. The second time, I manually loaded the IPSW then did the jb. Either way, I have the same problem. 5.1.1

27. Jeremy says:

Thanks for responding Matt. I realized that just after I hit the submit button. Doh! :-)

Anyway, I decided to restore and give Absinthe a try. Worked on the first try, no white icon.

Really strange considering I never had the white icon problem with my Verizon model.

28. RedsnowxD says:

I do Just Boot And when my device turns off cydia white icon again i need to just boot again and i have hacked other Iphones And its ok but when i have hacked mine cydia white icon and i do just boot when he turns off cydia apps wont work plz help me

29. bro says:

i dont get it

30. ZIko says:

I have Ipad 2 Ios 5.1.1 I downloded redsn0w0.9.12beta2 and beta1 but both of them there was a problem that – sorry, thats not supported yet on the ipad2? what does it mean? what i have to download? Please, HELP MEEEE

31. Nouman says:

Hey,
    I have ipod 4g ios 5.1.1 i jailed it last night, then the white CYDIA icon appeared, i touched it.
    Upon updating it closed and now my cydia icon and camera icon is gone.
    It says that my device is jail broken now. BUt there is no icon showing.
    Somebody help me please, i need help urgent :(

32. sean says:

I just tried jailbreaking my ipod touch 4g 32gigs but when i tried to just boot tethered it got stuck on waiting for reboot. Please help me.

33. Mufasa says:

thankz help full

34. CD says:

I want to jailbreak my 3GS iOS 5.1.1 but have beeen reading it will get bricked because the devise was made after the 34th week of 2011. I can’t find any info on how to prevent this from happening when jailbreaking….only info on how to un brick if it happens. I dont want it to brick at all. Please advise…..
    Thanks!

35. Alexis says:

i’ve got a major issue, my phone shut off after i booted tethered, so i went to boot tethered again after a day, now everytime i choose to boot tethered it says “exploit failed” i tried different versions of redsnow, and none of them would even begin the exploit just said “unexpected error” now my phone wont boot tethered and i cant restore it from my device, and if i restore it through itunes i have to update, another weird thing is that everything including itunes, redsnow, and tinyumbrella, think my phone is in DFU mode, even when its on and i’m using it, someone help me please

36. Braden says:

My iPod touch 4 with IOS6 is jailbroken with redsn0w

37. nee says:

Hi, I have a jailbroken iphone 4 ios 5.0.1, i tried the steps above to update to 5.1.1 and jailbreak again, but after done, nothing change to my phone, it is still the old ios 5.0.1, what should I do?

38. busdn says:

everytime I try to get in to cydia the phone shut down :(