Stop the Period Automatically Typing in iOS

Jul 3, 2012 - 7 Comments

The Keyboard in iOS

Double tapping the spacebar in iOS inserts a period at the end of a sentence and starts another, a feature that can really improve typing on the virtual keyboards of iOS, but not everyone likes the behavior. If you don’t want the iPhone or iPad to automatically type periods at the end of a word, here’s all you have to do to adjust the setting in iOS.

How to Stop Typing Period Automatically on iPhone and iPad

This applies to all versions of iOS:

1. Open Settings and tap “General”
  2. Tap “Keyboard” and look for ‘”.” Shortcut’ and flip that to OFF

A period will no longer be inserted if you double-tap the spacebar, leaving you to manually insert all punctuation when typing in iOS.

The setting may look slightly different depending on your version of iOS, but it remains in all versions. You can toggle this off and on as needed.

Thanks for the question and tip idea Kevin

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. Mr J says:

Thanks for this. It was especially irritating when tapping out a list.

2. Trev says:

I have it off and it still happens, bleh

• Jeff Hunter says:

Same here. After disabling the option, it continues to insert a period after a second space is entered. This is extremely troubling when you are coding (Coda). I am running iOS 10.2.1 on an iPad Air 2.

• Amy says:

This was killing me, but I have the option for hardware keyboards as well. I’m not sure if that’s standard or because I have a bluetooth keyboard too, but it you have the option in general settings, go to hardboard keyboard and it has the option to turn it off a second time. Turn it off there and hopefully that will turn it off for good. It did for me.

3. Fannie Toner says:

Unfortunately, it IS off on my iPad, and so also is “Auto Capitalization.” And it STILL inserts the capital letter and the period. Makes me crazy. Arrrgh!

• Amy says:

In general settings do you have an option for hardboard keyboard? If so, turn them off there too. I’ve been going insane with this and it seems to have fixed it. At least for the period part, not sure about the caps

4. Andrea says:

Thank you Amy! It was that extra step on the hard keyboard that finally stopped adding the period. How annoying!!