FlipClock is a Beautifully Simple Clock Screen Saver for Mac OS X

Nov 28, 2012 - 13 Comments

FlipClock Screen Saver for Mac OS X

FlipClock is an appropriately named and wonderfully simple screen saver for Mac OS X that does nothing but show you the time in a very nice retro flip clock fashion. There are no frills and no features, nor do there really need to be, it’s just a simple lightweight clock that shows AM/PM and current time, with the traditional flip animations when the time changes.

Not all Macs will run FlipClock because it requires OS X 10.8 or later. Download the free zip file and uncompress it as usual, then you can install it either by dragging and dropping the .saver file right into the Screen Saver preference panel, or by right-clicking on the FlipClock.saver file and choosing “Open” to get around GateKeeper. Install it for just the current user or all users on the Mac, and that’s about it, you’re good to go.

If you’ve been looking for an OS X Mountain Lion+ compatible Flash-free alternative to the popular Fliqlo clock screen saver, this is it.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Customize, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Rob says:

Not sure if I screwed this simple thing up, but…it doesn’t change time? Stays on whatever the time was when you activate your screen saver.

• alex says:

It works. Remember it’s completely inactive until the time switches, then it’s just a real quick flip.

This screen saver is MUCH better than the Fliqlo Flash mess and doesn’t send my CPU into high heaven. Huge thanks!

2. Dan says:

Would not update time for me either, just stuck at time saver was activated. Downloaded “Today” instead and it is working great…

3. Matthew says:

Updates on time for me, running with OS X 10.8.2

@Dan mentioned “Today” and that is what I used before this. http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/05/minimal-date-time-and-day-clock-screen-saver/

4. Vasek says:

best one, or which i have as screen saver is this http://ilovecolorz.net/minimalclock/

5. Norbs says:

Don’t like… the background is a slightly different shade of black than the area around the numbers. Makes it looks kinda doody

• Brock says:

I agree, looks pretty slapdick. Apparently, it works pretty slapdick also.
      Why call attention to this at all?

• martin says:

If you don’t like the different background color open it up in Quartz Composer and change it with the color picker and then save again.

6. Edward says:

Sorry this is not a good replacement for Fliqlo. Fliqlo has style. I wish the developer would update it for Mt. Lion.

7. Yannis says:

Messed up my hot corners and 4 finger swipes with trackpad. Everything went back to normal when I deleted it.. I’m on 10.8.2

8. Tom says:

Doesn’t even work for me. Just says “cannot play on this version…”…yet, I am on 10.8.2…confused