How to Get Snapchat in Mac OS X (or Windows)

Dec 28, 2012 - 38 Comments

Snapchat on Mac

Snapchat is a very popular quirky picture messaging client for Android and iPhone that allows people to share pictures and have conversations that disappear after a very short time interval, after which the shared content is gone forever. The spontaneous and fleeting nature of the messages has given the app an interesting reputation that you can now enjoy on the desktop, despite not having an official client for Mac or Windows. Instead, with the help of Bluestacks (basically an Android app emulator), you can install and run Snapchat on a Mac or PC right now.

Setting this up is quite easy for just about anyone, and if you already have a Snapchat account you’ll instantly have your entire friends list accessible to you from OS X.

• Get Bluestacks (free) and install it on the Mac by dragging it into the Applications folder
  • Launch Bluestacks and click the “Search” magnifying glass button, type “Snapchat” and click Find
  • Find Snapchat on the Android stores to install it

• Click the “Install” button next to Snapchat (the proper app has a yellow icon with a ghost in it)
  • Let BlueStacks search the various Android stores, select to install Snapchat from the store furthest to the right with the little Android guy icon
  • Let Snapchat download and install

Install Snapchat in Bluestacks on Mac

• Return to the Bluestacks home screen, click on “My Apps” and click Snapchat to open the app
  • OR: Click Launchpad, find Snapchat and launch it from there (OS X 10.8+ only)

Snapchat

At this point you can either enter an existing Snapchat username and login, or create a new one right from the app. If you already have a Snapchat account and username then the friends list will appear on login, otherwise adding friends is easy.

Snapchat runs within Bluestacks and gives you the exact same app experience that you’d find on Android. Sending and reading messages is the same as if the app was on a smartphone but using a normal keyboard instead, though camera support is shoddy and as a result sending pictures is limited. Nonetheless, you can still view picture messages sent to you as usual. For the best two-way picture messaging with full camera support you’ll probably be better off with the designated smartphone app for either Android or iPhone, but that’s for you to decide.

Snapchat

So now you have Snapchat on the desktop, and yes this guide is pretty much identical if you’re on Windows PC rather than a Mac. Have fun!

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. iart says:

can’t find the snapchat on bluestack

2. Spencer says:

I am able to find the snapchat app on bluestacks, but when it shows the four different app stores and I click on the android market one (all the way to the right) a message pops up saying “market not found. Search web for installation recipe?”… any ideas on how to solve this?
    Much appreciated.

3. Chris Emmins says:

• Grant says:

But in a recent update, a notification was sent to the sender of the pic, notifying them that their snap was screen shot’d.

4. Chris Emmins says:

This app has a major floor. Lets say I wanted to send a funny picture of myself to a friend but not wanting it to appear anywhere else ensure it disappears after a few seconds. Well what about when the person opens the picture and wants to keep it… EASY Home + Power button = screen shot.. Thankyou now I have it…… takes ab=round 2 secs to hit those buttons..

5. windowscum says:

bluestack stiil unstable,

6. Michael says:

I can open up the videos that are sent to me from other users, but i cannot send a video myself. why is that?

7. Dylan says:

I cant log in for some reason; anyone have solutions?

• Kira says:

Try quitting it and reloading it. It always works for me. (apple products- go to home and double click the home button, then slide snapchat up)

8. Keegan says:

Can’t take photos..No camera recognized, please fix.

9. bll says:

When installed on bluestacks it does not allow you to add friends?

When u get to the screen to add friends it has no options?

10. Brian says:

The setup was fine though the camera is way too zoomed in like to get a whole body shot I cant even reach the mouse to click. Any solutions ?

11. Kat says:

The camera is way too zoomed for me too whenever I click the button. What do I do?

12. Max says:

that’s the same for me, camera’s way too zoomed in!!

13. christine says:

i can download snapchat but i can’t take pictures.. is this ‘limited’ picture sending only 2 photos? i sent 2 photos and now i can’t send anymore. everytime i open the camera on snapchat the whole screen is black. please help asap

14. Daisy says:

when I search for snapchat it doesnt come up.

15. Stephan says:

Anyone that can’t find snapchat in the search, try installing one of the top apps. Bluestacks will ask you to sign in with your google account to enable to app store.

16. Uliks says:

I installed it, then it says: setup 1 click-sync I tried to set it up but it dosent work, someone can help? I’m on a MacBook

17. nemo says:

Every time I search snap chat in Bluestacks, nothing will show up? Mac OS X user?

18. Protagonist says:

When I try, It says that it needs Google Play Services, and when I install it, it says “Incompatible with other applications using shared user IDs.”

• Cody says:

I had the same issue and still can’t find the solution I’ve looked everywhere. If you have found one please let me know. Thanks in advance.

• dory says:

I’ve also had this problem, and still not able to find a solution! Let me know if you have one? Many thanks! :)

19. Dani says:

It installed and everything, but when I go to open it, it says it cannot run without Google Play Services. When I tried to download that, it says it wouldn’t work. Is there a way around that or no?

20. Android Guru says:

If you can’t find the app just download the .APK file and open it using bluestacks.

21. jelly says:

it says I need to install ‘google play services’ but when I do it says ERROR.

please give advice!

22. PIE says:

MEE 2! HELP!
    It says error anyone knows how to fix it?

23. JG says:

I can download bluestacks and add account but when I try to 1 click sync with my account it won’t let me? Can anyone help me I am on a mac

24. Clauu says:

when I type snapchat in, and click find, nothing appears
    any help please?

25. Den says:

All you have to do is just click on the arrow down at the left side (backspace). The error text will disappear, and you can use it ;) take a snap and send it !