OS X 10.8.3 Update Now Available
Apple has released the OS X 10.8.3 Update for Mac users running Mountain Lion. The update includes a handful of bug fixes, a new version of Safari, support for installing Windows 8 through Boot Camp, support for installing Boot Camp on drives larger than 3TB, and the ability to redeem iTunes Gift Cards through the Mac App Store using a camera, much like you can already with iTunes. The peculiar File:// bug that caused applications to crash instantly is also resolved with the update. The full release notes for Mountain Lion 10.8.3 are included below.
The update weighs in between 250MB and 600MB, depending on your Mac, and can be downloaded through the Mac App Store.
Pull down the Apple menu and choosing Software Update, or launch the Mac App Store directly and look under the “Updates” tab. Installing OS X 10.8.3 requires a system reboot, and it’s always good policy to perform a quick Time Machine backup before installing any system software updates.
Alternatively, you can download the Combo updater directly from Apple.
Release notes for OS X 10.8.3 update are as follows:
OS X 10.8.3 Release Notes
These are the full release notes courtesy of Apple:
– The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac’s built-in camera
– Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
– Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3 TB hard drive
– A fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
– A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
– A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
– A fix for an issue in Contacts that may cause cards to print out of order
– A fix for an issue that may cause the desktop picture to change after logging out or restarting
– A fix for an issue in Messages that may cause messages to appear out of order after waking from sleep
– A fix for an issue that may cause the screen to display incorrectly after waking from sleep
– Improves compatibility with IMAP servers in the Notes app
– Allows the Slideshow screen saver to display photos located in a subfolder
– A fix for an issue in Contacts that may cause addresses to print in the wrong location
– Reliability improvements when using a Microsoft Exchange account in Mail
– Xsan reliability improvements
– A fix for an issue that could cause Active Directory accounts to be locked out after accessing the Security & Privacy pane in System Preferences
– A fix for an issue that could cause link aggregation to not complete after a restart
– A fix for an issue that could cause delays when logging into an Active Directory account on high latency networks
Safari 6.0.3 is included in the OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3 Update and contains fixes that improve performance, stability, and security, including:
– Improves scrolling on facebook.com
– Improves scrolling while zoomed in on a webpage
– Improves performance on webpages with plug-in content
– A fix for an issue that could cause the inaccurate appearance of an alert that bookmarks can’t be changed
– A fix for an issue that could cause duplicate bookmarks to appear on an iOS device after editing bookmarks with Safari in OS X
– A fix for an issue that permitted users to access unfiltered search results when searching from google.com when Parental Controls are enabled
– A fix for an issue that could prevent Safari from restoring the last position on a webpage a user navigated back to
The following are the abbreviated release notes provided via the Mac App Store:
The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
• The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac’s built-in camera
• Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
• Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
• A fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
• A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
• A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMac models
• Includes Safari 6.0.3
For detailed information about this update, please visit:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5612 (as of time of publishing, link is not yet live on Apple.com)
Security Update 2013-001 Available for OS X Lion and Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Much more minor updates are also available to OS X Lion and Snow Leopard users, both server and client. Dubbed “Security Update 2013-001″ for the earlier OS X versions, the update focuses on critical security related fixes and does not include the feature updates brought with the Mountain Lion update.
Security Update 2013-001 can be downloaded via the Apple menu through Software Update.
We will update with more information and changes as it becomes available.