iPhone Stuck on Apple Logo? Here Are 4 Ways to Fix
Rarely, the iPhone may get stuck on the Apple logo screen. This usually happens after a software update or a crash, and it’s fairly obvious because the Apple logo appears against an otherwise black display and that is all you see on the iPhone; just the Apple logo stuck on the screen and the rest of the iPhone features are inaccessible and unusable.
We’re going to focus on various troubleshooting tips and resolutions that should fix an iPhone if it’s stuck on an Apple logo. Try the following steps in order from easiest to most complex to fix an iPhone stuck on the Apple logo.
1: Forcibly Reboot the iPhone
Sometimes simply force restarting the iPhone will kick it out of the stuck Apple logo.
If the iPhone is a model is iPhone 7 or newer, then you restart it by holding down the Volume Down and Power button at the same time.
If the iPhone is older than an iPhone 7, you can force reboot it by holding down the Home button and Power button
2: Try to Update iPhone via Recovery Mode
The next thing to try is to force an update to iOS via Recovery Mode, the benefit to this approach is that it attempts to reinstall iOS without modifying the data on the device. This approach will usually work if the problem with the iPhone is that an iOS system software update went awry, it will not resolve hardware problems or issues with a jailbreak.
You will need a computer with the latest version of iTunes, and a USB cable to complete a recovery mode update.
- Open iTunes on the computer and then connect the iPhone via USB
- Place the iPhone into Recovery Mode by performing the following actions:
- For iPhone 7 and newer models, press and hold the Power button and Volume Down buttons at the same time, continue holding them until an alert message comes up in iTunes saying an iPhone in recovery mode has been detected
- For older iPhone models, press and hold the Power button and Home button concurrently, and continue holding them until an alert message in iTunes says an iPhone in recovery mode has been detected
This will attempt to update iOS on the iPhone. If this fails you can try the process again and choose “Restore” but by doing so you will erase the iPhone and have the option of restoring it from a backup.
3: Restore the iPhone with DFU
Another approach is to use DFU mode to restore the iPhone. This approach will erase all data on the iPhone so you should only do this after you have a backup handy.
If the problem with the iPhone is that a jailbreak went bad and you can’t resolve it by removing the tweak or Cydia app, then restoring via DFU mode is likely the only solution. Remember, a DFU restore wipes the entire iPhone.
iPhone Still Stuck on Apple Logo? Nothing is Working?
If the iPhone has been rebooted, restored through Recovery Mode, restored through DFU mode, and is still not working and still stuck on the Apple logo, you may have a hardware issue or some other deeper problem. At this point the best approach is to contact official Apple support channels and have them guide you through a solution, which may entail bringing the device to Apple for repair.
Why does the iPhone get stuck on an Apple logo screen?
Usually when you see an iPhone stuck on the Apple logo it means something is wrong with the iOS software on the iPhone. There can be numerous reasons for this, and you might see the stuck Apple logo issue on an iPhone because:
- The iPhone had a problem during a system software update, this is the most common reason
- The iPhone is jailbroken and there is a problem with either the jailbreak, a tweak, or an app installed through Cydia, this is common with users who jailbreak their devices
- The iPhone was running a beta version of iOS system software that is no longer functioning properly or has encountered a problem
- Something is wrong with the iPhone hardware (rare)
Did these tips work to fix your issue? Know of another approach to fix an iPhone stuck on the Apple logo? Let us know in the comments.