Convert AVI to MOV
There are multiple ways to convert AVI video files to MOV video format on the Mac. Perhaps the easiest free ways to convert video from an AVI file to MOV format in Mac OS X is bt using an external app like Miro, VLC, or by using the Perian plugin for QuickTime.
Here’s a step by step guide of what you’ll need to do using one of these apps:
Convert AVI files to MOV within Mac OS X
Converting AVI to MOV with MIRO
- Get Miro Converter and decompress the app, then launch Miro Converter
- Drag & drop the AVI video you wish to convert into the Miro app
- Select the parameters (Apple format) to convert and the export movie format to MOV
Using Perian to Convert AVI to MOV
First you’ll need to get Perian, it is a free open source QuickTime component that adds support for many popular video formats.
* Download Perian and install it
After you have installed Perian, you’ll use Apple’s own QuickTime Player (we’re using the Snow Leopard version in this walkthrough)
* Open the AVI movie you want converted to MOV within QuickTime
* From the File menu, select “Save As”
* In the pop-up save menu, select ‘movie’ and as you can see the file type will be .mov
* Click “Save”
* Now just wait until the AVI is converted to MOV, the time it takes will depend on the file size, but for most files it is pretty fast.
That’s it! You have just converted an AVI file to MOV format!
Want more movie tools for adjusting formats? Here are some of the best free video conversion apps for Mac OS X.
If anyone knows any easier ways to convert avi to mov than this (that are also free), please post them in the comments!