How to Gift an App from iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad
Want to give someone an iOS app as a gift this holiday season? You can gift apps directly from the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, without ever touching a computer and without the need for purchasing an iTunes gift card. This makes for a perfect last minute Christmas shopping or birthday present, since you can literally buy someone a present on the car ride over to their house Christmas morning. Gifting apps is very simple:
Gift an iOS App from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the App Store
This process is done directly on the iOS device within the App Store, but it can be repeated in iTunes as well.
- Launch the App Store
- Find the app you want to gift and tap on it
- Scroll down below the screenshots of the app and tap on “Gift This App”, then sign into the iTunes Store
- Tap “Next” on the app summary screen
- Fill in your name, the recipients name, and the recipients email address, as well as a note to attach to the gifted app (note: including several recipients email addresses will buy the app for each person)
- On the purchase summary screen, tap on “Buy Gift” in the lower right corner
The app will immediately be sent to the gift recipient, who receives an email with a link to download the iOS app to their iTunes library.
If you’d rather wrap the app as a physical gift, you can do so with iTunes by choosing to print a redeemable code instead of emailing the app. Gifted apps will appear in your purchase history, so if you or the recipient loses the redemption email, it can easily be retrieved again.
Note that you can not use redeemed credit from iTunes gift cards to purchase gifted apps, and the recipients iPhone, iPod, or iPad must be compatible with the app you are sending, which most are.