How to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 Untethered with Redsn0w
The recently released update to Redsn0w 0.9.12 brings the untethered jailbreak to virtually all iOS 5.1.1 users. The latest version of redsn0w has two paths to the untethered jailbreak and which you use will depend on your iOS device, with A5 hardware being the simplest and other hardware requiring the traditional DFU mode method. Neither is particularly challenging, here they are grouped by device, the instructions below cover both.
Super Easy: iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3
Moderately Easy DFU Method: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch 3rd and 4th gen, iPad 1
Note: if you are already jailbroken tethered, launch Cydia to search for and install Rocky Raccoon untether. You do not need to rejailbreak your device.
Jailbreaking iOS 5.1.1 Untethered with Redsn0w
Upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 before beginning, quit iTunes beforehand as well. Depending on hardware you may or may not need to go into DFU mode:
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.12 (direct link for Mac or Windows) and launch redsn0w
- Connect the iOS device to the computer and click “Jailbreak”
- For iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and iPad 3, click “Next” and let redsn0w run the jailbreak
- For iPhone 4 & 3GS, iPod touch 3rd and 4th gen, and iPad 1, put the device into DFU mode: hold Power button for 3 seconds, continue holding Power and now hold the Home button for 5 seconds, release Power button but hold home button for another 15 seconds>
- Let Redsn0w run and install the jailbreak, the device will reboot itself and you will be able to find Cydia on the home screen to verify the device is jailbroken
When finished, you can reboot the device freely without having to connect it to a computer for a tethered boot. The ability to freely reboot is the primary difference between a tethered vs untethered jailbreak.