iOS 10.2 Update Download Released for iPhone & iPad [IPSW Links]
Apple has released iOS 10.2 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iOS 10.2 includes new wallpapers, a new TV app, some minor adjustments to the Music app Shuffle and Repeat button, a couple of new screen effects for imessage. Over 100 new emojis icons are also included, ranging from a cowboy, a cucumber, an astronaut, someone using a Mac, guerrilla, owl, avocado, a selfie, a handshake, and more.
iOS 10.2 also includes various bug fixes and other improvements to the mobile operating system.
Download & Update to iOS 10.2
The easiest way to install and update iOS 10.2 on an iPhone or iPad is by using the Over-the-Air update mechanism:
- Back up the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to iTunes and/or iCloud
- Open the “Settings” app and go to “General” and then to “Software Update”
- Choose “Download and Install” when iOS 10.2 appears on screen
iOS 10.2 will download and automatically install onto the device.
Another option is to update and install iOS 10.2 through iTunes by connecting a device to a computer with a modern version of iTunes.
iOS 10.2 IPSW Download Links
Users can also choose to download iOS 10.2 IPSW firmware files directly from Apple. Using IPSW to update iOS is not particularly difficult but it is generally advanced and not necessary for the vast majority of users.
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5c
- 12.9 inch iPad Pro
- 9.7 inch iPad Pro
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air
- iPad 4
- iPad Mini 4
- iPad Mini 3
- iPad Mini 2
- iPod Touch (6th generation)
Troubleshooting iOS 10.2 Update
If iOS 10.2 is not showing up for you in Software Update, you may need to delete any existing old iOS software updates first that may be stored on the device. After that, reboot the iPhone or iPad. You can learn how to restart an iPhone or iPad, or reboot an iPhone 7 here, which is a slightly different process. Upon rebooting the iOS 10.2 update should appear as expected.
If you’re looking to find the new Emoji icons in iOS 10.2 simply load the Emoji keyboard as usual and browse around, they are intermixed with existing emojis in iOS.
iOS 10.2 Release Notes
Release notes for iOS 10.2 are as follows:
iOS 10.2 introduces new features including the TV app (US Only), a new and unified experience for accessing your TV shows and movies across multiple video apps. Emoji have been beautifully redesigned to reveal even more detail and over 100 new emoji have been added including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions. This update also includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
▪ Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you’re currently watching and pick up where you left off
▪ Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
▪ Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
▪ Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals
▪ Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
▪ Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions
▪ Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
▪ Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
▪ Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
▪ Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed in after switching back from the Camera Roll on iPhone 7 Plus
▪ Additional support for RAW digital cameras
▪ Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
▪ Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages
▪ Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat and Up Next
▪ Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums, and Songs in Library
▪ Stories you’ve saved for later now appear the new Saved section
▪ The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will now appear in a dedicated section in For You
▪ It’s now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap Next Story while reading
▪ Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
▪ Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
▪ Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation
▪ Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
▪ Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
▪ Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
▪ Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
▪ Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails
Other improvements and fixes
▪ Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
▪ Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
▪ Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
▪ Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
▪ Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
▪ Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
▪ Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open as empty pages
▪ Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List
Separately, tvOS 10.1 is also available for Apple TV users, and watchOS 3.1.1 is available for Apple Watch.