Safari 11 for macOS Sierra & OS X El Capitan Released
Apple has released Safari 11 for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. The update to Safari includes various security patches, bug fixes, and includes a handful of new features for the Mac web browser.
Perhaps the most noteworthy feature of Safari 11 is that it stops media from automatically playing audio on most websites, thereby helping to prevent the user from having to mute tabs and tracking down which tab is playing sound when unexpected audio starts playing on sites like Facebook or many news websites.
Mac users can find the Safari 11 software update available in the Mac App Store Updates tab. You must be on the most recent version of Sierra or El Capitan to find the software update available, if you’re running a prior release of either Mac OS version the update does not appear to be available.
The release notes for Safari 11 include a focus on the following features and changes:
- Stop media with audio from automatically playing on most websites
- Adds the ability to configure Reader, content blockers, page zoom, and auto-play settings on a per-website basis, or for all websites
- Improves AutoFill accuracy from Contacts cards
- Includes updated media controls for HTML video and audio
- Enhances performance and efficiency
Safari 11 as a separate download is only available for Sierra and El Capitan. Safari 11 is included by default in macOS High Sierra 10.13, which is due for widespread public release for Mac users on September 25.
Separately, Apple has also released iOS 11 update for iPhone and iPad, along with tvOS 11 for Apple TV and watchOS 4 for Apple Watch.