iOS 12 GM Download Available Now for iPhone and iPad
Apple has released iOS 12 GM to download for iPhone and iPad users who are currently enrolled in the beta testing programs. GM stands for Golden Master, a software development term that indicates the particular version of software is finalized for mass availability. Basically that means that, absent any
The iOS 12 GM release, carrying the build number 16A366, is available now for both developer beta and public beta testers of the operating system.
While the new update is simply labeled as ‘iOS 12’ and thus appears to be the iOS 12 GM build, it’s always possible an additional build will become available before the official release date of iOS 12 on September 17 if some major bug or security flaw is discovered between then and now. Otherwise it appears this version is indeed the GM.
If you’re currently running a beta version of iOS 12 on an iPhone or iPad, you can find iOS 12 GM available to download now from the Software Update mechanism of the Settings app
iOS 12 focuses on performance improvements but also includes a variety of new features, including a new Screen Time capability that lets you put time limits on apps and watch app usage, new Animoji, Memoji customizable cartoony avatars, improvements to Siri, a new Siri Shortcuts feature that lets you automate some tasks in iOS, amongst a variety of other smaller tweaks, improvements, and adjustments to various apps and components of the iPad and iPhone operating system.
Full release notes are included with this version of the iOS 12 GM download, repeated below for those interested in reading them on the web.
iOS 12 Release Notes
The release notes accompanying the latest iOS 12 build download are as follows:
iOS 12 brings performance improvements and exciting new features to iPhone and iPad. Photos introduces new features to help you rediscover and share the photos in your library, Memoji—a new, more customizable Animoji—make Messages more expressive and fun, Screen Time helps you and your family understand and make the most of the time spent on devices, Siri Shortcuts deliver a faster way to get things done with the ability for any app to work with Siri, augmented reality becomes even more engaging with the ability for developers to create shared AR experiences, and new privacy features help protect you from being tracked on the web. This update introduces new features and improvements to:
• iOS has been enhanced for a faster and more responsive experience across the system
• All supported devices see improved performance, going back to iPhone 5s and iPad Air
• Camera launches up to 70 percent faster, the keyboard appears up to 50 percent faster and typing is more responsive*
• Apps launch up to twice as fast when your device is under heavy workload*
• New For You tab helps you discover great photos in your library with Featured Photos, Effect Suggestions, and more
• Sharing Suggestions proactively recommend sharing photos taken at events with the people who are in them
• Search enhancements make it easier to find your photos with intelligent suggestions and multiple keyword support
• Search for photos based on the place, business name, or event where you were when you took them
• Improved camera import with faster performance and a new large preview mode
• RAW support for editing images
• Portrait mode improvements preserve fine detail between subject and background when using Stage Light and Stage Light Mono effects
• QR codes are highlighted in the camera frame, making them easier to scan
• Memoji, a new, more customizable Animoji, make Messages more expressive with personalized characters that are diverse and fun
• Animoji now also include T. rex, ghost, koala, and tiger
• Make Memoji and Animoji wink and stick out their tongue
• New camera effects bring Animoji, filters, text effects, iMessage sticker packs, and shapes to the photos and videos you capture in Messages
• Animoji recordings can now capture up to 30 seconds
• Screen Time provides detailed information and tools to help you and your family find the right balance of time spent with apps and websites
• See the time spent in apps, usage across categories of apps, how many notifications are received, and how often devices are picked up
• App limits help you set the amount of time you or your child can spend in apps and on websites
• Screen Time for kids lets parents manage how their child uses iPhone and iPad right from their own iOS devices
Do Not Disturb
• Turn off Do Not Disturb after a set time, location or calendar event
• Do Not Disturb during Bedtime hides all notifications from your lock screen while you sleep
• Notifications from the same app are automatically grouped together to help you manage your notifications
• Instant Tuning gives you control over your notification settings right from the lock screen
• New Deliver Quietly option silently sends notifications directly to Notification Center without interrupting you
• Siri Shortcuts deliver a faster way to get things done with the ability for any app to work with Siri
• Add shortcuts using the “Add to Siri” button in supported apps, or in Settings > Siri and Search
• Siri suggests shortcuts on the Lock screen and in Search
• Get motorsports results, schedules, stats and standings for Formula 1, Nascar, Indy 500 and MotoGP
• Search for photos by time, location, people, topic or recent trips to find relevant photos and Memories in Photos
• Translate phrases in more languages, with support for over 40 language pairs
• Check facts about celebrities, such as when they were born, and ask questions about food, including calories and nutrient content
• Turn flashlight on or off
• More natural and expressive voice now available in Irish English, South African English, Danish, Norwegian, Cantonese and Mandarin (Taiwan)
• Shared experiences in ARKit 2 let developers create innovative AR apps you can experience together with friends
• Persistence enables developers to save and reload experiences right from where you left off
• Object detection and image tracking gives developers new tools to recognize real world objects and track images while they move through space
• AR Quick Look extends AR throughout iOS, letting you view AR objects with built-in apps like News, Safari, and Files and share them with friends with iMessage and Mail
• New augmented reality app to measure objects and spaces
• Draw lines across surfaces or in free space to measure, and tap on a line’s label to see more information
• Automatically measure rectangular objects
• Capture, share and markup screenshots of your measurements
Privacy and Security
• Enhanced Intelligent Tracking Prevention in Safari prevents embedded content and social media buttons from tracking cross-site browsing without your permission
• Suppresses ad retargeting by reducing advertisers’ ability to identify iOS devices uniquely
• Strong and unique passwords are suggested automatically when creating an account or changing a password in most apps and in Safari
• Reused passwords are flagged in Settings > Passwords & Accounts
• Security code AutoFill presents one-time security codes sent over SMS as suggestions in the QuickType bar
• Sharing passwords with contacts is easier than ever using AirDrop from Passwords & Accounts in Settings
• Siri supports quickly navigating to a password on an authenticated device
• All-new design that makes discovering and enjoying books and audiobooks easy and fun
• Reading Now makes it simple to get back to the book you’re currently reading or find great recommendations for what to read next
• Add books to the new Want to Read collection to keep track of what you’d like to read next
• The Book Store makes it easy to find your next favorite read with new and popular selections from our Apple Books editors and recommendations chosen just for you
• The new Audiobooks store helps you find immersive stories and informative nonfiction books narrated by your favorite authors, actors, and celebrities
• Search now supports lyrics so you can use a few of the words to find a song
• Artist pages have an easier to browse design with a personalized station of any artist’s music
• The new Friends Mix is a playlist of songs you’ll love from everything your friends are listening to
• New charts to show you the daily top 100 songs in countries around the world
• Apple News is redesigned to make it easier to discover new channels and topics
• The new sidebar on iPad and Channels tab on iPhone make it easy to jump straight to your favorite publications and discover new ones
• All-new design lets you easily view stock quotes, interactive charts, and top news on iPhone and iPad
• Top Stories section includes articles selected by Apple News editors to highlight the latest news driving the market
• Read Apple News stories right in the app, formatted to look great on iPhone and iPad
• Watchlist includes color-coded sparklines that let you see daily performance at a glance
• See an interactive chart for every ticker symbol, plus key details including after-hours price, trading volume, and more
• All-new design with improved ease of use
• iCloud keeps your recordings and edits in sync across all of your devices
• Available on iPad with support for both portrait and landscape orientation
• Get notified when movies and TV shows are available to watch in Up Next
• Share your favorite movies, TV shows, and sporting events with universal links
• Now supports chapters for shows that include them
• Skip 30 seconds or to the next chapter with forward and back buttons in your car or on your headphones
• Easily manage new episode notifications from the Listen Now screen
• Live Listen now works with AirPods to help you hear more clearly
• RTT phone calling now works with AT&T
• Speak Selection now supports using the Siri voice to speak text that you have selected
Other features and improvements
• Camera effects in FaceTime transform your look in real-time
• CarPlay adds support for third-party navigation apps
• On supported campuses, use contactless student ID cards in Wallet to access buildings and pay with Apple Pay
• Website icons can appear in tabs on iPad by enabling them in Settings > Safari
• Weather includes air quality index in supported regions
• Quickly swipe up from the bottom of the screen to go home on iPad
• Swipe down from the top right to access Control Center on iPad
• Mark Up includes a palette of additional colors and options to change line width and opacity for each tool
• Battery usage chart in Settings now shows your usage for the last 24 hours or 10 days, and you can tap a bar to see app use for that period of time
• On devices without 3D Touch, touch and hold the keyboard Space bar to turn your keyboard into a trackpad
• Maps adds support for indoor maps for airports and malls with indoor positioning in China
• New definition dictionary in Hebrew, and bilingual dictionaries in Arabic and English, and Hindi and English
• New English thesaurus
• Automatic software updates allow iOS updates to be installed automatically overnight
The release date for iOS 12 is September 17, while the release date for macOS Mojave is September 24. You can check the iOS 12 supported devices list if you are not sure whether or not your particular iPhone or iPad can run the latest operating system.
Separately, macOS Mojave beta 11 is available to download as well.
Benji, yes that’s always been there… but the main shortcuts app was available to developers only… the public beta hasn’t had access to that! So the app is missing… though will mostly become available on ios12 release date through the AppStore.
Siri Shortcuts still isn’t available… I thought it might come in the GM, but sadly not…
from the above release notes:
“• Siri Shortcuts deliver a faster way to get things done with the ability for any app to work with Siri
• Add shortcuts using the “Add to Siri” button in supported apps, or in Settings > Siri and Search
• Siri suggests shortcuts on the Lock screen and in Search”
So, it is there, you’re just not looking in the right place for it.
I have the last beta before the GM, (haven’t updated yet), and it’s there.
Could you provide a download link for GM of iOS 12 please?
You’re not going to find it on legit sites – apple prohibits that kind of distribution. You can still sign up for the public beta program and get it, or google for a site that has it – there’s always someone who makes it available somehow, although usually through highly questionable download sites that take forever and subject your computer to whatever the malware du jour is.
Apple releases iOS 12 final in a few days, that is when you can safely download the IPSW without risk.
@arni I would echo this point strongly. Do not try to find the iOS 12 GM IPSW links to download unless it’s from Apple, the only place you should download IPSW files from is directly from Apple. If the link to an IPSW file does not point directly to an ‘apple.com’ URL then you should skip it and certainly not install it. Otherwise it’s possible to access a modified IPSW file that could be a backdoor, or fake with junkware, or who knows what. Don’t take the risk. Sure you could use sha1 hash etc to verify authenticity but you need the original IPSW from Apple to do that to compare it to.
The easiest way to download the iOS 12 GM right now is to install the public beta, which serves up the iOS 12 GM version.
Or just wait a few more days, the iOS 12 IPSW will be available from Apple to download for everyone. And it will be available in Settings app too.
Also, I “do not like” the phishing sites like you; therefore I evade them as possible. The GM is on my iPhone, thank you, it is working well. Just, the system file size is thriving. However I thought so, I will restore my iPhone. But I have to wait. :)
Agree. Only because I asked, usually the site owner share some links to IPSW files. I enrolled public beta program and I downloaded from PB1 to this GM one. Therefore my iPhone store is almost full. The system file size is thriving. However I thought so, I will restore my iPhone. But I have to wait.
[…]for iPhone and iPad users who are currently enrolled in the beta testing programs.
Are you enrolled in?
Yep. I had enrolled.
I installed from PB1 to this GM one. And I sent a lot of feedback.