How to Migrate to iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro from Old iPhone the Easy Way with Quick Start
Get a new iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro and want to transfer all data from the old iPhone to the new iPhone? With the latest versions of iOS, the process of transferring everything from one iPhone to another is easier than ever before thanks to a great feature called Quick Start and iPhone Migration which allows for easy direct data transfer between an old and new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max, wirelessly. This is about as simple as it gets for migrating from an old to new iPhone.
To use this Quick Start and the direct data transfer feature, each iPhone will have to be running at least iOS 12.4 or later, and they’ll need Bluetooth and wi-fi enabled. So let’s say you got an iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS 13.1, you’ll be fine to transfer data directly over as long as the older iPhone is running a modern version of iOS too (if not, update the old iPhone to at least iOS 12.4 before starting).
How to Use Quick Start Data Migration from Old iPhone to iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max
Make sure Bluetooth and wi-fi is turned on with both iPhones before proceeding. For best results, you’ll want both devices to be plugged in, or at least have fully charged batteries.
- Place the two iPhones near one another, then turn on the new iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Pro and pause at the “Quick Start” screen
- On the old iPhone, you’ll see a “Set Up New iPhone” screen, so tap “Continue” on that
- Wait a moment for for a animation to appear on the iPhone 11 screen, then hold the old iPhone up so that animation is shown in the devices camera viewfinder
- Now on the new iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Pro, enter the old devices passcode
- Go through the setup process for Face ID or choose to set it up later *
- Choose “Transfer from iPhone” on the new iPhone
- A “Transferring Data” screen will appear on both the old and new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max, now you just have to let this complete and a time estimate will be provided with a progress bar
- When the data transfer has completed, the new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max will be ready to use with all data from the old iPhone completely migrated over
This is by far the easiest way to migrate everything from an existing iPhone to a new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max.
The new iPhone will boot and and load and it will ready to go, if you need to change the iPhone SIM card to remove the SIM from the older iPhone to the new device, don’t forget to do that.
If you plan on giving away or selling the old iPhone that you’re replacing, you’ll want to erase and reset the iPhone to factory settings before doing so, that will remove all data from the iPhone and make it setup like it’s brand new.
Everything is done wirelessly between the two devices through an ad-hoc network, sort of like when you’re using AirDrop. You can use a wired connection to transfer data with iPhone Migration and Quick Start if you have a Lightning to Lighting cable, however.
Direct data migration from iPhone to iPhone this way is really easy and is perhaps the best and fastest way to setup a new iPhone for most users now. Other options remain, and you can still either setup the iPhone as brand new with nothing on it, set it up with an iCloud backup, migrate from an old iPhone to new iPhone with iTunes backup, or migrate and transfer data from Android to new iPhone too. Pick which method is appropriate to your situation.
* You can also ignore Face ID and not use Face ID at all if you’d rather not use the facial recognition biometric unlocking method. Doing so requires you to unlock your iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro with a passcode instead.
Did you get a new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max, and use the handy direct iPhone data migration feature? How did it work for you? Let us know your experiences in the comments below.