MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update Released with Bug Fixes
Apple has released MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update for Mac users running macOS Catalina.
The new supplemental update includes a few bug fixes, including resolving a problem with FaceTime calls that was also patched in the iOS 13.4.1 and iPadOS 13.4.1 updates. The full release notes accompanying the MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update are available further below.
How to Install MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update
All updates to macOS can be downloaded from the Software Update preference panel. Back up the Mac before installing any system software update.
- Go to the Apple menu, choosing “System Preferences”
- Select “Software Update”, and then choose to download and install MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update
The Mac will require a reboot to complete installation, it will do that automatically.
Optionally, Mac users can also download the Supplemental Update as a packager installer from Apple.
Direct Download for MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update Package Installer
Using a package installer for supplemental updates is basically the same as using a combo update or any other package based software update that is directly downloaded from Apple. Simply launch the package and install it. As always, you’ll want to backup your Mac before doing so.
macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update Release Notes
“macOS Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental update improves the stability and security of your Mac.
– Fixes an issue where Mac computers running macOS Catalina 10.15.4 could not participate in FaceTime calls with devices running iOS 9.3.6 and earlier or OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and earlier
– Resolves an issue where you may repeatedly receive a password prompt for an Office 365 account
– Fixes an issue where MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) may hang in Setup Assistant or when disconnecting and reconnecting a 4K or 5K external display
– Resolves an issue where a USB-C port in your Mac may become unresponsive”
It’s unclear if the macOS 10.15.4 Supplemental Update addresses any of the kernel panics, random restarts, and system crashing problems that have been reported by some Mac users with the macOS 10.15.4 update, and there is no mention in the release notes.
Separately, Apple has also released watchOS 6.2.1, iOS 13.4.1 for iPhone, and iPadOS 13.4.1 for iPad, each of which comes with the same FaceTime bug fix and addressing a few other smaller bugs.