How to Batch Convert HEIC to JPG (Mac & Windows PC)
Have a bunch of HEIC files you want to batch convert to JPG? Whether you transferred a bunch of photos from iPhone or iPad to a Mac or PC only to realize there could be compatibility issues, or if you downloaded photos shared by someone else and they’re in the HEIC format, you may be wondering how you can bulk convert all the HEIC images to a more compatible image format like JPG. There are several ways to do this, but one of the easiest is with the help of a free app.
For those who aren’t aware or who are new to iOS devices, HEIC is a relatively new file format that’s used by Apple to reduce the file size taken up by photos captured by your iPhone or iPad. It’s called the high-efficiency image format (HEIF) since it keeps the file size as low as possible without any noticeable loss in image quality. The downside here is that this file format isn’t nearly as widely incorporated as JPG and as a result, you may run into compatibility issues when you’re trying to view these photos on other devices. You can change the iPhone to shoot photos in JPEG format if you’d like, but that’s not helpful for photos that are already on your computer in HEIC format. So to avoid any compatibility issues, converting HEIC to a more broadly supported format like JPG is a solution, and that’s what we’ll cover here for both Mac and Windows PC.
How to Batch Convert HEIC to JPG on Windows & Mac
Regardless of whether you’re using Windows or Mac, you can use the following steps to batch convert HEIC files since we’ll be using a third-party software that’s available on both platforms. Now, without further ado, let’s see what you need to do:
- Launch any web browser on your computer and head over to this link to download iMazing HEIC Converter. It’s free to download and use.
- Once installed, run the software and then click on “File” from its menu bar.
- Next, choose “Open Files” from the dropdown menu.
- This will launch the file explorer on Windows or the Finder app if you’re on Mac. Select all the files that you want to convert and click on “Open”.
- Now, make sure the format “JPEG” is selected and click on “Convert” to begin the conversion process.
- Next, you’ll be prompted to select the destination folder or directory for the output files. Select the location according to your preference and click on “OK”.
- Once converted, you’ll get the conversion successful dialog box with the option to view all the converted files. Click on “Show Files” and check out the output JPEG files.
Now you know what to do when you’re facing compatibility issues with HEIC files on your computer.
Remember that on the Mac you can convert HEIC to JPG with the Mac Preview app, and there are options for Windows users too for converting the file types.
Are you the kind of person who regularly transfers your iPhone and iPad photos and store it on your computer? If so, you can avoid having to manually convert every single time with the help of an iOS setting that automatically transfers photos in a compatible format. To make use of this feature, go to Settings -> Photos, scroll down to “Transfer to Mac or PC” and set it to “Automatic”.
Apart from this, there’s a camera setting that makes your iPhone or iPad capture new photos using the JPEG format rather than HEIC. This can be used if you don’t mind large file size for photos or if you have a lot of storage space on your device. It’s accessible from Settings -> Camera -> Formats, but do keep in mind that this setting impacts video format as well.
Did you use the iMazing HEIC batch converter for changing your HEIC files to JPG format? Did you use another solution? Let us know your approach to this issue in the comments.