Creating a “Save as PDF” Keyboard Shortcut in MacOS Ventura
If you work with a lot of PDF files, you’d probably appreciate having the ability to press a keyboard shortcut to save files, webpages, and documents as PDF files on the Mac. You can set that up rather easily, and we’ll walk through the process.
If you have long been using the old trick to create a Save as PDF keyboard shortcut and recently updated to MacOS Ventura, you may have noticed your old keyboard shortcut doesn’t work anymore. This is because Apple has renamed the menu title for the action, so if you’re using the old keyboard shortcut it will not register. But with a little adjustment you’ll be able to use the Command+PP trick again for saving as PDF in no time.
How to Create a “Save as PDF” Keyboard Shortcut in macOS Ventura
In MacOS Ventura 13.0 or later, use the following trick to create and use a keyboard shortcut for Save as PDF:
- Click on the Apple menu in the upper left corner, and choose “System Settings”
- Choose “Keyboard” from the left side menu options
- Click on the “Keyboard Shortcuts” button
- Select ‘App Shortcuts’ from the menu options, then click on the [+] plus button to add a new shortcut
- For “Menu Title” type exactly “Save as PDF…” and yes it must include the three periods … on the end
- Now click into “Keyboard Shortcut” and press Command + P
- Click on “Add” to add the keyboard shortcut and you will see it in the list under All Applications
- Close out of System Settings
Now the ‘Save As PDF’ keyboard shortcut is set and it’s ready to be used.
You keyboard shortcut sequence you press will actually be very slightly different from what you set, in that you’ll press P twice. So despite setting Command+P, what you will actually press Command+P+P – just press the P key twice in a row quickly to activate the keyboard shortcut to Save as PDF.
This trick works because once you’re in the “Print” dialog box, hitting Command+P again will bring up the Save as PDF menu. So by pressing Command+P+P you are telling MacOS to go directly to the Save As PDF menu item.
Try it out yourself, on this webpage or from a document or iMessage window, hit Command+P+P and you will bring up the “Save As PDF” dialog box.
And there you have it, you’re now printing as PDF and saving PDF files through a keyboard shortcut on MacOS Ventura. Easy!
If you like this keyboard shortcut, you might also appreciate the ability to set a Save As keyboard shortcut on Mac like what used to exist in the old days of Mac file saving. You can also easily create a variety of other custom keyboard shortcuts through the Keyboard Shortcuts settings panel, so have at it.