Convert AVI to MOV
The easiest free way to convert an AVI file to MOV format in Mac OS X is by using the Perian plugin for QuickTime, here’s a step by step guide of what you’ll need to do:
Convert AVI files to MOV within Mac OS X
First you’ll need to get Perian, it is a free open source QuickTime component that adds support for many popular video formats.
* Download Perian and install it
After you have installed Perian, you’ll use Apple’s own QuickTime Player (we’re using the Snow Leopard version in this walkthrough)
* Open the AVI movie you want converted to MOV within QuickTime
* From the File menu, select “Save As”
* In the pop-up save menu, select ‘movie’ and as you can see the file type will be .mov
* Click “Save”
* Now just wait until the AVI is converted to MOV, the time it takes will depend on the file size, but for most files it is pretty fast.
That’s it! You have just converted an AVI file to MOV format!
If anyone knows any easier ways to convert avi to mov than this (that are also free), please post them in the comments!