Convert Images in Mac OS X: JPG to GIF, PSD to JPG, GIF to JPG, BMP to JPG, PNG to PDF, and more
You can convert many different image file formats in Mac OS X for free using the included Preview application, there’s no need to download additional tools or do anything overly complex. As of Mac OS X 10.6 and beyond, Preview supports the following file types and will convert between any of them: GIF, ICNS, JPEG, JPG, JPEG-2000, Microsoft BMP, Microsoft Icon, OpenEXR, PDF, Photoshop (PSD), PICT, PNG, SGI, TGA, TIFF. Some of those image formats will be hidden from your default view when saving, requiring the usage of the “Option” key when saving to reveal them. In any event, converting from one image type to another is simple.
Converting Image File Formats in Mac OS X with Preview
- Open the image file you want converted within Preview
- From the File menu navigate down to ‘Save As’
- Select the file format you want the image converted to from the ‘Format’ drop down list
- Click “OK” to save and convert the image to the new format
The above process will hold true regardless of the origin images file format and the desired file format.
Preview.app supports a wide range of image conversions: GIF to JPG, JPG to GIF, PSD to JPG, JPG to PDF, JPG to BMP, BMP to JPG, BMP to GIF, PNG to GIF, JPG to PNG, TIFF to JPG, and just about every other variation between these and more. As long as the image format is supported by Preview, it will convert it to any other supported file format.
Converting Images in OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks onward
Preview still maintains the ability to convert pictures, but OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, and OS X Mavericks are slightly different in a few ways regarding how this procedure is handled:
- Open the image to convert and from the File menu you will notice “Save As” is hidden by default, so choose “Export” instead
- To see different image file formats in Preview, hold the Option key when saving a file
- Save the file as usual to discover the newly converted version
Easy as pie. Happy converting!