How to Talk to a Live Person at Apple

Apr 16, 2010 - 9 Comments

applecare So you called Apple’s main number at 1-800-692-7753 (1-800-MY-APPLE) and you’re getting lost in a maze of automated menus. If you’re frustrated and trying to talk to a real life living breathing person at Apple’s number, we’v got three specific tricks to try when you encounter the automated voice robot:

Talk to a Person Trick 1: Press 0 repeatedly. Eventually, you should be transferred to a person (yes a real person!). This trick works for most automated phone systems, since 0 usually goes the ‘operator’ or a support person.

Talk to a Human Trick 2: Speak gibberish when asked what to do:

After the robot answers, wait for him to get to his first break and say “Customer Service Representative.” The robot will confirm that he’ll soon place you in touch with a real human being. He’ll then ask you to clarify what topic you’re calling about. Do not respond with a topic… [instead] say something strange. Something like “Gallupping Butterflies” or “Indigenous Bicycle Dinosaurs.” Make sure that your topic cannot be understand by Mr. Roboto. Once you’ve stymied him, he’ll finally forward you to a real customer service representative.

This helpful tidbit of information is brought to us from TUAW, where the original poster must have had some recent frustrating experience with trying to talk to a real human at Apple.

Talk to an Apple Human Trick 3: For what it’s worth, I’ve found that if you call Apple’s Technical Support (Apple Care) number directly at 1-800-275-2273, you are almost always immediately speaking to a human, so if you’re having technical problems that might be a better solution than trying to trip up a mechanical bot at their generic 800 number.

Talking to a person is often the most easy and helpful way to resolve a technical issue, or any matter with your Apple account, ordering, sales, shipping, whatever. Apple support reps are usually really great and well trained, so if you have a trick to talk to a person quickly at Apple support or sales numbers, let us know in the comments!

Posted by: Manish Patel in Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. Gao Chee Yang says:

I have an iPhone 3G or 3GS I heard that it’s not real from
    China. But yeah, my iPhone I found it, and it was low battery like to three percent, then, I guess it charged it until it was just ten percent, so then I decided to reset everything, and, I waited forever for it to do everything it had to do, and so when I kept waiting all I saw was it just kept flashing on and off then it’d show me the low battery sign again, and, I just don’t know what to do.

2. Sawyer says:

I purchased a lot of songs on my itunes and my computer crashed and I formatted my computer and it deleted all of the files and my itunes. I put itunes back on my computer but i don’t know how to get my purchased songs back onto my computer. please help

3. PJ says:

worked like a charm!

4. ep says:

haha! brilliant! thanks

5. perle says:

Nice job just a bit of a long wait but you guys are brilliant!

6. Henry says:

The customer service is terrible. I wanted them to put the credits on my credit card, but they put it back on the gift card. So then I called them and complained, but they just hung up on me, so forget Apple.

7. pat says:

i hate apple but i cant get anything but an iPhone the customer support took forever

8. jackee says:

I have bought numerous songs from the itunes store Nd im stiil.not able to make any of them my ringtones on my iphone 4

• WUT says:

Great story Jackee, here’s mine: I use an iPhone 6 Plus, and it snowed today! Unfortunately my iPhone is not a snow blower, so it didn’t blow the snow.