Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 Download Available Now

Nov 23, 2010 - 65 Comments

redsn0w 0 9 6 b 4 download Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 has been released for download by the iPhone dev team, and it allows you to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1, but there’s a catch; not all hardware get an untethered jailbreak. Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 only supports the following devices for untethered jailbreaks: iPhone 3G, older iPhone 3GS, and older iPod touch 2G models. All other iOS devices will have to be plugged into your computer with redsn0w launched each time you reboot the device (or your battery dies). For this reason, I would recommend most people wait on trying to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 until another untethered solution is available.

Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b4

You can grab the latest redsn0w release for Mac or Windows:

Note about unlocking iOS 4.2.1
If you plan on unlocking your iPhone, do not update to iOS 4.2.1 and do not use redsn0w for now because it will update your baseband. Unlockers should save SSH blobs from their current firmware (iOS 4.1 or earlier) and wait for a PwnageTool update so that you can upgrade to iOS 4.2.1 without updating the devices firmware. If you update to 4.2.1 you risk losing the ability to unlock your iPhone.

Update about unlocking iOS 4.2.1
You can get the redsn0w 0.9.6b5 download which will work to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 and allows you to unlock iOS 4.2.1 with ultrasn0w for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

Update 2: redsn0w 0.9.6b6 download is now available and helps to resolve battery drain issues with unlocked iPhone 3GS and 3G models.

Update 3: Redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 is out.

Posted by: Manish Patel in iPhone

1. Parakeet says:

I’m glad this is out but I’m waiting for PwnageTool 4.2, I hate tethered jailbreaks

2. teresa payne says:

thanks for the info and your site rocks

3. […] 11/23/2010: redsn0w 0.9.6b4 download has been […]

4. i'm stupid says:

hi, when will green posi0n update to 4.2.1 cause i accdently update it to 4.2.1 and lost the cydia app… can some please telll me on here?

5. dc says:

why wont it let me jailbreak mine? its a 2g mc model and its suppose to work but it says it still doesnt allow mc models? wats goin on man!?

6. iphon family says:

thanks bro, this is the safest thing and way to jailbreak!!! And im a first timer so i was sceptical at first but i did it!!!!

7. need help says:

it just stops at uploading ramdisk.. i have 4.1.

8. Camla says:

So which version of redsn0w should I use to unlock a 4g with 4.2.1 firmware.

9. thood says:

ok so pretty much i have a ipod touch 3g with 4.2.1 gold master firmware and im trying to jailbreak it. i understand that i can only have a tethered jailbreak at the time (not really sure what that means tho) will i b able to have cydia or installus for apps or will i have to ssh them and if so how do i do that?????? plz n e body out there helpppp!

10. Jordan says:

hey so i’ve used this version of redsn0w before on my ipod but after restoring it i went to re-jailbreak it and redsn0w is not recognizing it in dfu mode.. It comes up on my computer as “Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode)” But it’s not showing up in redsn0w.. Anyone with the same problem or a solution?? that would be very appreciated

11. help says:

mine is stuck when the redsn0w displays exploiting with limera1n.. process bar fills up half soon after starting but doesnt increase after that.. waited 2 hours.. tried 3 times.. out of luck.. ipod 3g, mc, 4.2.1… can any1 help??

• the dude says:

mine got halfway thru the limera1n thing and froze halfway through, then i realised I was using wrong firmware, it’s not all that easy to tell between models of ipod touch unless you check by serial number on the back of the ipod in the smallprint (under the bit that says 8gb, 32gb etc)

12. Cally says:

There’s even problem to open redsnow!!!

13. Jakwan says:

I Need Help I Have A Ipod Touch 2g MB and It Keeps Stoping At The Ram Disk Part. Plz Help!

14. nate22297 says:

Ok so i have an ipod touch 2G MC model, and on the Dev team blog it says itll work with 2G MC but as a tethered, but when i select my firmware in redsn0w it says that the iPod touch 2G MC is not supported yet? anyone know why? I already tried running as administrator and in XP Compatability mode. (using windows 7)

15. StyleKrong says:

Thank you so much for this, you have no idea how long I was searching for a working JB for the Iphone4. TYTYTY! :D

16. help says:

Can someone help me? after intalling redsn0w i opened cydia and asked me to upgrade then i turned off my itouch. after that i turned it on again and cydia wont open anymore.

• KingKhan says:

It may have been the the tethered version of jailbreak you had because on the tethered version if you switch of your phone off you will have to do the prosess again. So open up redsnow and click browser and the file you need to select is iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore, after that click next and then make sure the only option that is selected is Just Boot Tethered Right Now

Just try that and it should be up and running and if it isnt then you may have to install the whole cydia thing again

17. WH says:

the download link for windows is down, please reupload it..
    thanks

18. soloboy says:

I get stucket at “uploading ramdisk”. i´m on IOS 4.2.1.
    any help?:D

19. RJ says:

Getting stuck at Uploading Ramdisk… come on REDSN0W!!

20. blacktissue says:

i have ipod touch 2G MC model. Redsnow is not support to my ipod. So what do i do now?

21. frank says:

i got iphone 4….downloaded 4.2.1..lost my Cydia (JB)…nice and simple problem….can someone give me a nice and simple answer how to either JB this version or downgrade. I downloaded Redsnow and i cannot get past the browse window! ugh help

thanks

22. a person says:

mine always says redsn0w.exe has stopped working. please help

23. redsn0wretard says:

i have the redsn0w 0.9.6b4 and a 4.2.1 iOS but whenever i download redsn0w0.9.6b4 and try to open it is says windows can not open this folder it is a compressed (zipped file) any help????

24. kyle says:

man forget Redsn0w it isnt working for 1/2 the people on this page and obviously is a joke. if you cant fix the problems associated with the program then dont publish it. thx

25. Houtsy says:

NO, PEOPLE ARE JUST DUMB AND DONT LISTEN!!!
    YOU MUST RUN REDSNOW IN WINDOWS XP COMPATIBILITY MODE AND RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR!!!
    THEN IT WORKS FINE!!!

26. Darkfayt says:

It seems far too many people are complaining and posting problems before reading any comments on the board, if you just read above posts, all questions are answered. Instead of being lazy and posting the same questions repeatedly and pissing off the people who can and will help you, make sure it’s not answered. I’m getting sick of seeing the same post fifteen times from different people when the answer is already posted several times.

27. Darkfayt says:

Just followed the instructions in the tutorial and above posts, and guess what? It worked fine. iPod touch 2g mb model for those who are curious.

28. artur says:

hello i need help,i have a iphone 3g with ios 4.2 and i would like to unlock ,should i use rednsow?wich version?

29. hi says:

i’ve dont everything the directions say. when i go to open the redsn0w file on my desktop is says its invalid and i cannot open it. i don’t know why and i’ve googled many things looking for a solution. also- not sure if im in compadibility mode. i’ve tried to change it but im not sure exactly what i’ve done. please help!

30. Brahma says:

Hi,

I am trying to unlock my iphone 3gs(4.2.1 8c148a) as i don’t have the sim to be activated.

I am using resnow 0.9.6b6 and the 4.2.1 restore firmware for jailbreaking. I am runnig the exe file in the XP service pack 2 compatabilit mode and as an administrator but still it gets strucked up at the exploiting with limra1n.

Could anyone please help me on this.

31. Jake says:

OK, so I’ve looked through all the comments and responses and I’m certain my issue has not come up/been resolved.

On iPod 2G MB, I get through everything, and when it says its finished, the screen is blank

I never get a “downloading jailbreak data” and the icon to come up. Instead, its just a black screen.

Could anyone please help? This would be much appreciated.

32. mugybo says:

Worked like a charme! ;-) Thanks from Amsterdam!

(do have to say it seems the battery is running low faster though…)

33. mugybo says:

Ps. Have an iPhone 3G 16GB

34. […] things frist… download Redsn0w: Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 Download Available Now download the version of firmware you are running: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download Once you […]

35. pnguine says:

iPhone 3g. previously jb’d. froze after installing a theme. wouldn’t shut down, wouldn’t boot up. followed instructions above. fixed itself. thanks.

36. dżonas says:

hi, I jailbreak mi iPod touch 2g with IOS 4.2.1 with greenpois0n and Cydia only locked my iPod… what should i do? jailbreak with redsn0w 9.6b4?

37. dżonas says:

PS i have mc model

38. Jonathan says:

then obviously use snowbreeze or pwnagetool

39. yvonne says:

i have been given a iphone 3gs it has version 4.1 on it (it has been unlocked previously a friend gave me the phone) can i get another version (update) and if so which version

thanks

40. jonas says:

is it a freeware?

41. topher says:

After I jailbreaked my Iphone, the screen started to flicker everywhere. Does anone know why this is happening?

42. blank says:

I cannot find which file to upload after browsing with redsn0w anysuggestions?

43. blank says:

nvm figured it out

44. Logan says:

I need help to jailbreak and unlock iphone 3g with ios 4.2.1. i have downloaded redsn0w (09.6b4) and firmware (iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8c148_restore). Everytime i run redsn0w and try to browse, i seem to cant find firmware to Jailbreak iphone 3g4.2.1. Can someone plz help? Also i need the firmware to unlock this phone aswell. THANKS!

45. Logan says:

P.S. I am Using WINDOWS XP Home to jailbreak it.

46. sidd says:

hi all i just installed redsnow and after trying so many days i successfully installed installous as well and everything went well but my phone still locked to carrier optus. how can i unlock carrier. doesnt it work with carrier break.

47. CEB says:

I have a iphone with a 4.2.1 firmware. And i want to put iOS 6! i download it (The iOS6 Firmware) and with Redsn0w I unlocked it?

OR

Do i have to download the same firmware that i actually have to unlock it?