Stop Google.com Redirecting to Local Country or Language Version of Google

Nov 22, 2011 - 14 Comments

Stop Google.com Redirecting to Another Countries Version of Google

Traveling abroad can quickly become frustrating when you attempt a search on Google.com and discover you are redirected to the local countries variant. This is convenient for things like local search and Maps, but if you’re trying to find results in English while you’re in a non-english speaking country the redirect is annoying.

The solution is simple enough: use the alternate NCR Google URL. NCR stands for “No Country Redirect” and will always display Google.com in English, whether you’re in India, Brazil, Honduras, Germany, or anywhere.

You can use Google’s Language Tools to set a primary language for a specific Google account as well, but the NCR link to be much easier to remember and more flexible.

This a fairly general tip and it applies to all web browsers and all OS’s, whether you’re using a MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone, Windows PC, Android phone, or anything else.

Posted by: AJ in Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. Alex says:

LOL, I ran into this on vacation and I can’t speak a lick of Spanish. Never knew about NCR though, good thing to bookmark for the future :)

2. tim says:

i am using encrypted.google.com instead and it’s definitely wont tie to local google. :)

3. Jack says:

Nice tip. I always have this problem since I travel internationally all the time. Wonder if there is a similar one for Yahoo?

4. Makka says:

I’m not from the USA, so I’ve never thought about this problem. Every country just has it’s own Google URL, so we just go to google.de, google.be, google.nl, google.fr, google.co.uk, google.is and so on. It doesn’t matter where I am, I’ve just set the Google URL of my own country as the start page in Safari, so Google is always in my own language.

I’ve never thought about people from the USA using google.com and being redirected. Isn’t there a google.us you can use?

No. I’ve just tested that, but when I go to google.us, I’m just directed to my local Google URL. Strange, I expected google.com to redirect to the local Google URL and google.us not to redirect and just to be in English, just like all other local Google pages are written in the local language.

5. Horrible says:

This is annoying me so badly. For gods sakes, if I type in http://www.google.com than that´s where I want to go! The search results for different country google are often very different and don´t find what I need. Thank you for the tip, hopefully it will solve thys annoying problem.

6. Oleg says:

A great tip. I live in Latvia and can’t stand the local redirect as I mostly research foreign markets and the insistent local setting was really in the way. Thanks for the great tips. What does the encrypted.Google do – same as Chrome incognito? I am also sick of the nosy ads.

7. Paul says:

This is interesting but since I don’t want to have google as my home page is there a way of setting this as the default Google site in the search box top right hand side of safari?

8. Hussain says:

Using Internet Explorer, the Google search page just decided to switch to another language. Looking at the links, I could open the language preferences page which listed a couple of dozen languages I had never heard of (is Cherokee a real written language?) but English wasn’t an option. Will someone at Google please add English as an option to all pages?

9. Callyope says:

I am in Germany, and when I click http://www.google.com/ncr
    I am always redirected to google.de.

The only option to land on google. com, is to click on the google.com/ncr link directely from this page: http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=873

Hope it helps someone :-)

10. Zenón says:

At this time nothing is working for me to get the google us version.

11. sk says:

if nothing else, click on THEIR google.com link on the bottom right of the page that’s given to you. It will take you to the right page.

12. Bart says:

I still have an issue after trying all these things (http://www.google.com/ncr and change language settings).

I’m in The Netherlands right now and when I do a search for example ‘garnier.com’, it shows their US website in English in the search results. Then when I click on it, it redirects me to the local Dutch site.
    If I do a search for ‘Match.com’, it shows their English homepage. Then when I click on it, it redirects me to lexa.nl, their Dutch version of Match.com. Could someone explain why this happen and how I fix this? Thanks so much.

13. Dude says:

You are a hero! Thanks for this tip and thanks for all the comments!

14. jonah says:

this works in firefox but not in safari. is there a way to get it to work in safari?