How to Unhide Purchases from App Store in iOS on iPhone & iPad

Mar 19, 2012 - 13 Comments

How to find and unhide App Store purchases in iOS on iPhone and iPad

Need to reveal hidden App Store purchases so that you can access and download them again in iOS to your iPhone or iPad?

It’s easy to find and unhide app purchases directly on an iOS device, though the exact technique will depend on what version of iOS you have on the device itself.

To get started, grab the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and then do the following in accordance with the version of iOS you are using:

How to Re-download Hidden Purchases from iOS App Store on iPhone and iPad

In modern versions of iOS system software, here is how you can re-download any hidden app purchases in the App Store on iPhone or iPad:

1. Open the App Store
  2. Tap the ‘Today’ tab at the bottom of the screen
  3. Tap on your profile avatar logo in the upper right corner of the Today screen
  4. Now tap on your Apple ID, then sign in with the Apple ID password if requested
  5. Scroll down to find and tap on “Hidden Purchases”
  6. Locate the app you want to re-download and tap the download button, it looks like a cloud with an arrow flying out of the bottom of it

You can repeat this process to find and re-download any hidden app from the App Store.

This works with all modern versions of iOS, like iOS 12, iOS 11, iOS 10, iOS 9, iOS 8, and iOS 7. But earlier versions of iOS are still in use, and if you’re on one of those versions you’ll want to follow the directions below instead.

How to Unhide App Purchases in iOS 6 and earlier

Got an older iPhone or iPad and want to unhide purchases there? Here is how to do that;

1. Launch the App Store
  2. Scroll down to tap on “Apple ID: email@address.com”
  3. Tap “View Apple ID”
  4. Enter the password for the account
  5. Scroll down and tap on “Hidden Purchases”
  6. Unhide Purchases in App Store

7. Find the app(s) you wish to unhide, and tap the “Unhide” button
  8. Unhide Purchase

9. Find the unhidden apps under the “Purchased” section of App Store

Remember, you can always hide a purchase from the App Store again by swiping next to its name in the purchased list.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. Boise Ed says:

I went through your steps on my iPhone 3gs and couldn’t find “Hidden Purchases”; is this only for newer iPhones? I do have the latest iOS.

• Will says:

This should be on any device that uses iOS 5 or later. What do you see instead? The setting doesn’t show up if you don’t have any hidden apps, that could be it.

• Michelle says:

I have a iphone6 and there is no such thing on mine either! Followed your directions and DONT HAVE THE BUTTONS YOU SAY THAT IS THERE!! You are wrong with these directions or ALL these iPhone are different!! So now what do we do when the directions are wrong?

2. Brian says:

I’m using an iPhone 4S with the latest iOS and I do not have this either. Apple ID, Payment, Country/Region, Turn on Genius for Apps, and right below that it states:

“iTunes in the Cloud
    Enabling Automatic Download or downloading a previous purchase will associate this device with your Apple ID for use with iTunes in the Cloud.”

Which I assume it probably the section this info is about, however I have done both of those and still no hidden apps buttons or switches

3. Budianto Chen says:

In my iPad, I don’ see the unhindered button, it’s only the open button. It’s definitely a bug.

4. Sickman says:

Nice answer. Solved my problem in seconds! Great!

5. Charles reed says:

I can’t find hidden purchases on my iPhone 7

6. Andy Marks says:

There is no restore hidden apps.Apple lied!When I hide apps alls they do is disappear and I have tried every method but nothing worked.

7. Hannah says:

Thank you so much. This really helped. I’ve spend over 200 dollars in music and I hide some by accident one day. This fixed my problem! 💕

8. Angie Jones says:

I hid an app in the app store by mistake as I was scrolling. I tried getting it back, but there is no hidden purchase option to be able to get the app unhidden! My 6s plus updated to iOS 11 yesterday! 🙁

9. Dennis says:

I tried also your instruction but my iphone will just hung. There is no unhide button appear.