What Does That Emoji Icon Mean Anyway?

Nov 15, 2012 - 13 Comments

What does an emoji character mean

If you’re new to Emoji, you’ll be forgiven for not knowing just what some of these icons and characters are supposed to mean. Many are common sense, while others are a bit of a mystery, but there’s an easy way to find out what a specific Emoji character means just by looking at the icon in the Special Character selector of OS X.

This panel should be available in just about any app that allows keyboard input, but we’ll use TextEdit as an example:

• Pull down the “Edit” menu and select “Special Characters”, then select “Emoji” from the left side menu to access all available icons
  • Find the Emoji icon in question and click on it to reveal it’s intended meaning

The example above shows the infamous “Pile of Poo”, which also happens to be it’s defined meaning. You can find these little descriptions for any of the Emoji, but because many new characters have shown up since iOS 6 not all of them will be available on the Mac emoji keyboard.

Emoji definitions aren’t available in the iOS keyboard though, so users of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch will just have to continue taking their best guesses.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Fun, iPad, iPhone, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Wiggleson Smith says:

I find the PILE OF POO to be self explanatory.

• Robbertvdd says:

But what’s the one above PILE OF POO? I’d call it EXTREME FART. How about the next one (the one with three drops)? WET FART?

Anyway…
      “because many new characters have shown up since iOS 6 not all of them will be available on the Mac emoji keyboard.”

Strange. Why did Apple not add these emojis withe the latest update to OS X?

2. Rikki says:

On iOS if you write the emoji, highlight it, and have the accessibility option speak it to you, you’ll get the same result.

In fact maybe even a little more, 💩 gives you “smiling pile of poo”

3. Bernard says:

to reveal it’s intended meaning – you mean “its” of course 😬

4. Boukje Eekma says:

I love the emojis, BUT why do they disappear when I use them in an email from my laptop or from my iPad in a Face Book message.
    The moment I click post the emojis are gone!!!! Weird

5. Zorrilla says:

Actually You can use text to speech on iOS ln any emoji and it will read its meaning.

6. Aberto I says:

If who will receive your mail or message with these emoticons on his computer will probably not see them…

7. Canadian Stig says:

If you enable emojis and speak text on ios it is Dung and the one beside it is Fire so you get Fire Dung or as I like to call it Flaming Poo.

8. Michael says:

Ok what does the emoji 😊 mean? I know its a blushy face with smiling eyes but a guy put me in his bio and used this emoji next to my name..i just want the true meaning

9. Michael says: