How to Disable Siri Completely on iPhone & iPad

Aug 18, 2015 - 23 Comments

Turn Siri off (or on) The Siri voice assistant has many genuinely useful commands and features and a great sense of humor, but some users may wish to disable Siri on their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch for whatever reason.

Of course, by turning off Siri, you won’t be able to access the personal assistant from anywhere in iOS, and you’ll lose any of the related features on the iPhone or iPad itself, but also with any paired Apple Watch too.

How to Turn Off Siri in iOS

Disabling Siri is the same for all devices and versions of iOS:

1. Open the Settings app in iOS and go to “General”
  2. Tap on “Siri” and near the top of the screen, toggle the switch next to “Siri” to the OFF position
  3. Confirm that you wish to disable Siri completely by tapping on “Turn Off Siri”
  4. Exit out of Settings as usual

Turn off Siri in iOS as shown on iPhone

Note that by disabling Siri you’ll get a message which says some Dictation data will continue to exist on Apple Servers unless you turn Dictation off as well – this is because the iPhone processes much of the voice recognition on remote Apple servers for enhanced recognition and understanding of your voice. Whether you want to go all out and disable Dictation as well as Siri is up to you, but Dictation is the feature which lets you speak to your iPhone and convert the speech to text, which is also very useful.

Since disabling Siri completely is quite dramatic, consider the few alternate options which may be more appropriate; if you’re concerned about accidental usage or unintentional usage, consider preventing Siri access from the lock screen as another solution, and if you find that Siri is talking out of the blue, consider just toggling the “Hey Siri” voice activation control feature off instead. These options allow Siri to continue to be summoned when desired and when intentional, but without completely turning off the handy voice assistant.

As usual with iOS Settings, you can always reverse things and go and re-enable Siri again by going back to the Siri options and toggling the switch back ON again.

Disable Siri in iOS, or Re-Enable Siri in iOS

With how useful Siri is, it’s probably best to leave enabled for most users, though there are certainly situations where it makes sense to disable, particularly for public usage iOS devices, kids iPads, or if the feature is continuously being summoned when it’s not desired. Ultimately, it’s up to you, but we recommend leaving the little artificially intelligent agent on and learning how to use the many Siri features, it’s very helpful!

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. Tollace Fiori says:

I use Siri all the time, can’t imagine turning it off on my iPhone. You’d be wasting a great feature, makes no sense for most of us.

But, I turned off Siri on my kids iPad since it’s easy for the kiddos to do the long press and then Siri interprets kid talk as a weird internet search which inevitably winds up searching the web for all sorts of curious phrases “OK, searching Google for ‘daddy why are the cheerios round why do they taste like dog hair'” nope, didn’t need that one.

2. Jay Morgan says:

I find Siri a complete waste of time, she never gets names from my telephone directory right, I can look it up and dial it faster than having Siri make 5 pathetic attempts at the right name. Yes…I speak Ohio English as a first language, Siri is the most useless utility on the iphone.

3. cashxx says:

Has gotten better in iOS 9. So far I don’t think it has messed up hearing what I am saying. I usually set reminders/timers and disable do not disturb if I get up early with “Hey Siri”. I wish we didn’t have to have it plugged in though to use “Hey Siri”!

You can do alot more with Siri, but that is usually what I use siri for and comes in handy.

I dictate with it now that its more reliable if I’m writing something long.

4. b9bot says:

Siri is doing better and I think when IOS9 comes out many will change there minds about Siri. Many improvements.

• Paul Minzer says:

I turned off Siri on both of my iPod touch V5 since it eats up too much power. also why have a Computer (basicaly a Text machine) then they kids Text on a Phone a Voice machine. This is Backwards. Just my opinion!

5. Dd0723 says:

Thanks for the tip. Didn’t realize that I could turn off that useless crap.
    Siri has never worked for me at all so I never bother with it anymore. I’m using the beta version of iOS 9 and it’s still crap. Ok Google works wonderfully for me so I use that.

Just an FYI. When you turn off Siri and press the home button for two seconds, the old pre-Siri voice control comes up. Remember that one with the blue screen and a list of commands? How do you turn THAT one off?

6. RM says:

But I still can’t disable Voice Control.

7. Andrzej says:

I always have to turn off the Siri feature because of lack of polish language!

8. Louie Stew says:

Great article.
    Disabling siri is top of the list when first setting up your iphone. It’s worse than useless. It does not learn, where did anyone get that idea? And makes akes the same mistakes over and over.
    The rule is, if anything only works sometimes, then it’s a waste of time.

Siri is exactly that, early stage tech.
    Pity apple promote it as amazing…

9. Curmudge says:

I am personally hoping beyond hope that “HOUND” will replace Siri completely. When I saw the demo video for Hound my jaw hit the floor.

PLEASE, Apple…pull yer head…replace the lame-o Siri with Hound ASAP!!!!!!!!

10. Sebby says:

I ultimately disabled Siri for privacy reasons; I want to pull out of the cloud as far as possible. I’m blind; now I am using handwriting and/or braille to make up for the loss of keyboard efficiency. Really not missing anything. Siri is, in many ways, just an illustration of how useless voice is as an actual substitute for full control of the UI. Also a nice reminder of the difficulty of touchscreens for the VI too, I suppose, but the fix again is to make it better, not to substitute an inferior interface.

I would give something for offline dictation, though. Love that on OS X.

11. Marty McDie says:

Glad to see I’m not the only one who finds Siri frustratingly useless. Almost ever query or request ends up with me saying, “god you are stupid,” and her saying “but…but….”

12. Grateful Gal says:

Never updated iOs on my iPhone 4

Poked around in Settings today. Then I KEPT poking around until I crippled myself with that dang Voice Over
    That was 4+ hours ago. Ugh

Ohhhhh I was SOOOO relieved to see “Three Fingers to Scroll” So simple. So necessary. SO grateful. So unaware.

Thanx muchly!

13. db who's Fed Up w/ Being Fed UP! (c) says:

Worthless! Worse than worthless… a menace!

Thought Apple’s beeg deal was to make things intuitive… sure didn’t make control of Voice Control intuitive.

But then thaz jes me…

db

14. Den says:

I’ve got an iPhone 6, an iPad mini, and an iPod Touch. Siri was initially active on all. It’s now turned off for the useless bit of frippery it is, IMO. I will not argue with a circuit board over the meaning of the words I speak.

The keyboard on my iDevices works just fine. There’s nothing I’ve searched for, or text I’ve entered, that requires instantaneous response, and I frankly don’t see that changing. Like so many worthless “features” that bog down our gadgets these days, the “convenience” isn’t worth the frustration.

15. Petr Turlak says:

Can I have Siri on my iPhone 4s off please. Thanks

16. Pramod says:

I pod min 3 hanged due to siri

17. crapple says:

load of crap DOES NOT SWITCH IT OFF, mine is set to off but the pain in the arse siri STILL keeps doing stupid stuff, like today, listening to music look at phone and siri has phoned a non existant number (basically just 10 random numbers!)
    and siri is NOT under general, jesus can’t even get a simple fact correct

18. josmondson says:

Siri is useless. I do not want it or ever use it. I want to disable BOTH Siri and voice control. Both are annoying and worthless features that I will never use. I am looking for a way to disable both.

19. Allen Belkin says:

Thanks! Siri drives me crazy! I keep my phone in my pocket and every time I bend over it says “Sorry, I didn’t get that”

20. Gillian says:

I have Siri turned off (supposedly) yet this afternoon it suddenly started talking. I don’t think it can really be turned off and as far as I can tell, all it is actually capable of is frightening people with unexpected comments or complaints. I know some people claim it works and is useful – perhaps they are fortunate to have voices that fall within a very narrow range that the “feature” can handle.