iPad Pro with 12.9″ Display Debuts, Release Date Set for November

Sep 9, 2015 - 9 Comments

iPad Pro with smart keyboard

Apple has released the all new iPad Pro, which prominently features a large ultra-high resolution 12.9″ display and desktop class computing performance. Additionally, Apple has debuted a new Smart Keyboard for the iPad Pro, and a separate stylus device called Apple Pencil.

The combination of the flagship iPad Pro product and these new accessories are clearly aimed at a professional user, which should broaden the potential uses of the iPad considerably.

iPad Pro with smart keyboard

The iPad Pro technical specs are as follows:

• 12.9″ 2732 x 2048 resolution display
  • A9X CPU
  • 10 hour battery life
  • 1.5lbs weight
  • 4 speaker sound system
  • 8MP iSight Camera
  • Touch ID
  • Available in space gray, silver, and gold

iPad Pro

iPad Pro tech specs

iPad Pro starts at $799 for 32GB, $949 for 128GB, and goes up to $1079 for 128GB model with cellular capabilities.

the new iPad line

Separately, an optional Smart Keyboard is available for the iPad Pro, which is a physical keyboard integrated into a smart cover, a bit like the Microsoft Surface. The Smart Keyboard is available as an accessory for $169.

iPad Pro with smart keyboard

iPad Pro smart keyboard

iPad Pro

There’s also the Apple Pencil, a stylus for the iPad Pro with pressure sensitivity, that charges directly by plugging into the lightning port of the iPad Pro. The Apple Pencil costs $99.

iPad Apple Pencil

iPad Pro and related hardware will be available in November.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, News

1. Josh says:

Close but no cigar , give it dual boot between iOS & OSX and you would have a winner.

2. Van says:

It’s like the Microsoft Surface, exactly like the Microsoft Surface.

Also, “If you see a stylus, they blew it” – Steve Jobs

That said, I think illustrators will like this new stylus.

3. Phred says:

I wonder if the stylus will “ink” 2 cm above the screen like my damn Sansung did. I snapped it in half and tossed it in the rubbish.

4. I just need to know the performance of this iPad. Everybody says Surface performs like a laptop, and I was thinking on getting a Surface. Now I’ll wait for the iPad performance review.

5. Sebby says:

So *that’s* the plan, is it? Make OS X redundant. I knew there had to be a reason for Yosemite’s terrible performance and the new El Capitan’s relative bid for constancy.

Don’t mind me, I’m just a sceptic. :)

6. not overly impressed says:

Why do they keep putting 2 generation old cameras in the new “top of the line” iPads?

Way over priced in my book considering what you get. I think I will wait for the iPad pro 2

7. Mark says:

iOS or OSX
    ipad pro or macbook air

They should have just launched iOS on the macbook air instead of a silly new ipad.

8. Mark says:

So i charge the battery in the ipad pro, then plug the pencil into the ipad to charge thus draining power from the ipad which i now need to charge again. Which dummy came up with that idea.