How to Use Tabs in Pages for Mac

Dec 30, 2016 - 12 Comments

Pages Tabs on Mac

Pages for Mac has gained the ability to use Tabs, allowing for tidy document management within the Pages app when having multiple documents open simultaneously.

To use Tabs in Pages, you’ll need to enable the Tab bar in the Pages app, which is not visible by default whether the Pages for Mac app is in windowed mode or full screen. Without the Tab bar visible, you can not open or access new tabs in Pages.

Be sure you’re on a recent version of Pages, updating via the Mac App Store may be necessary to insure that you have a modern version of Pages that supports Tabs. If you do not see Tab support, you do not have a new enough version of Pages software on the Mac and therefore need to update.

Enabling & Using Tabs in Pages for Mac

1. Open Pages on the Mac as usual, then pull down the “View” menu
  2. Pages

3. Choose “Show Tab Bar”
  4. Show Pages Tabs on Mac

5. Once the Tab bar becomes visible, click the [+] plus button on the side to open a new tab (or several)
  6. Create new Tab in Pages for Mac

Once you have shown the Tabs bar in Pages, it will persist whether the Pages app is in windowed mode or within fullscreen mode.

Pages Tabs on Mac in fullscreen mode

Pages Tabs can be navigated between, opened, and closed just like browser tabs in Safari, Tabs in Finder, using Mail tabs on Mac, Terminal tabs, or anywhere else tabs are located throughout Mac OS and apps which support the feature.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Gene Shepard says:

I did not know this. Thank You, very helpful!

2. William G. Scott says:

Nice feature. It also appears to be available in Keynote

3. Robert Hutwohl says:

I am using Pages 5.6.2 with El Capitan. You failed to mention the tabs feature only works for the Sierra version of Pages.

4. Richard Kane says:

I am on Sierra and had not updated Pages. After reading this post, I tried and find it does not load.
    I see from the comments on the App Store that this is a common problem. Is there a fix?

Richard

5. Paul S. Enns says:

Played around with this a little and discovered another great feature. I was trying to get all the documents I already had open into one tabbed window but wasn’t able to do that. However, I discovered that if you tell Pages to open a new tab, don’t select any template offered, then switch to the Finder (or ForkLift, which I’ve been using since my previous Finder helper, whose name escapes me at the moment, stopped working with SIP) and open a Pages document, the document opens in a new tab instead of a new window. My not-really-that-extensive research indicates this is the only way to open a document in a new tab. But it’s waaaaay better than the fear I had of having to copy and paste and create a whole new document.

• Tristan Hubsch says:

There is however a way to “consolidate” open windows into a single tabbed window: 1.¬†Open two or more documents. 2.¬†Select “View>Show Tab Bar”. 3. Press-and-drag the tab from one window into another window.

To consolidate all open windows, select “Window>Merge All Windows”.

6. PeterBreis says:

“…a recent version of Pages” is a vague term.

You need to specify that this is only for Pages 6 on Sierra.

Whilst tabbed documents a la Finder and Safari are a good idea, if a little belated, in Pages 5 and up the real problem is the badly designed UI that wastes a huge part of the screen (especially on laptops) in EVERY SINGLE DOCUMENT just for the sidebar inspectors.

7. avenged110 says:

Have to say, there’s almost nothing compelling added since Mavericks for me, but this is a great feature I wish I had.

8. Dun says:

Why are so many using old versions of OS X? Doesn’t that get insecure? Also don’t you end up lagging behind iOS?

• expobill says:

because older OSX works better on older macs
      i stopped at mountain lion, because that works perfectly!

• TomK says:

I stopped at Mountain Lion for a long time, too, seeing on here so many complaints about bugs in later versions, but four months ago jumped to El Capitan, and it has been beautiful.

• avenged110 says:

1) Can’t stand the new UI from newer versions or the problems they bring with them. I run 10.9 on all my machines.
      2) Sort of, I don’t care
      3) I use iOS 6 with iTunes 11 so that’s not a problem.