Where Photos Files Are Stored on Mac

Feb 23, 2017 - 16 Comments

The Photos file location on Mac

The Photos app in Mac OS aims to manage all images found within the application, including pictures copied from an iPhone or memory card into the Photos app and those imported into the app as well. But have you ever wondered where those actual Photos files are stored on a Mac?

We’re going to show you how to locate the image files that are contained within the Photos app on Mac OS. This is specific to Photos app, if you don’t use the Photos app to manage pictures on your Mac then your photos will not be stored within the applications package library and instead you’d likely find them through Finder in the generic Pictures folder or elsewhere in Mac OS.

Photos File Location in Mac OS

Photos image files are stored in the following location in Mac OS:

~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Masters/

The ~ tilde represents the users home directory, if you’re going to use the excellent Go To Folder command to access that directory don’t skip the ~ prefix.

The Photos Library package file in Mac OS X

This obviously focuses on local image files and not anything stored within iCloud, which are instead accessed through iCloud Photo Library or the Photos app.

How to Access Where Photos Files Are Stored in Mac OS

If you are going to manually navigate to the Photos file location using the Finder you would use the following steps;

1. Open the Finder in Mac OS and go to your home directory
  2. Go to the “Pictures” folder
  3. Locate the file named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”
  4. Right-click (or Control+Click) on “Photos Library.photoslibrary” and choose “Show Package Contents”
  5. Where Photos are stored on Mac

6. Open the folder named “Masters” to find the image files contained within Photos app
  7. Photos file locations in Mac OS

The Masters folder contains directories of photos organized by date in year, month, and day subfolders. Within each folder are the image files from that specific date.

Note if you delete a picture from the masters directory it will no longer be accessible in Photos app. This is not recommended for obvious reasons. Copy a file from the directory if you wish to edit it.

This package folder is not intended to be user-facing which is why it is hidden, nonetheless you can access your files directly if you so desire.

If you’re confused, the video below shows the right-click / control-click approach to accessing the Photos master image files:

Another approach to finding the original file from Photos app on Mac is using the “Show Referenced” function, which will open a Finder window directly to a file that was chosen from the Photos app.

Savvy Mac users will notice that Photos app images are located in the same package style containment as other common Mac apps, and in the same parent directory as where iPhoto images are found and where Photo Booth files are located.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Dave says:

Let’s hope photos is gone in the next release. it has to be the most frustrating “improvement” introduced in OS X/MacOS.

2. Steve says:

Thank you. I sort of knew photos were there but I thought it was one big file. I didn’t know individual photos were accessible.

3. Roger says:

Of course, it can’t be gone in the next release or even more MacOS users will be disgruntled having now had to use and get used to Photos.

However, I fully agree that moving to Photos was a retrograde step from Aperture, which I continue to use as it is far superior to Photos.

As a Mac user since it arrived and an Apple user from the beginning, the sort of sudden change as was that from Aperture to Photos seems quite contrary to Apple’s usual considered progress and innovation.

4. Chris says:

Photos not all that bad once you get the hang of it. I can see my photos on all my devices and so not want try another change! Would like simple name change inside Photos, instead of having to export and renaming as they are copied out. Agree re iTunes, very frustrating and needs simple way of opening in new window for example. Sierra, MBP 2012.

5. ansophie van brabant says:

I find nothing in ‘masters’.
    How come ?

Grtz

6. Kevin Etherington says:

Thank you for the info.
    Is it possible to move that package folder to an external hard drive and still use photos in the same way.

• Louise walker says:

Have you found an answer to this question? I would like to do this but don’t know how.

• Jack says:

You don’t move the Package Contents.. You move the whole file, the Photos Library.

You’d be better off calling Apple for help with that.. The Application team are really good at this kinda thing. They helped me out tons of times. Saved me from a lot of heart/headache.

• Jack says:

7. Tim Needham says:

I was wondering what you do if you want to import a second iPhotos library. My wife’s old Mac died but I have access to the photo library. She now has a new Mac with its own photo library so can I just import the one from the old machine via a USB drive or do I need to do something more complicated. Will both libraries merge or can I make one library with all the photos in it? Any advice truly welcomed. Thanks

• Jack says:

If you want to merge Libraries, the easiest thing to do would be to turn the iPhoto Library into a Photos Library, then use iCloud Photo Library to Merge them..

If you already use it on one, you’d just set the other one as the System Library (Photos menu> Preferences) then enable iCloud Photo Library for it.

Once it updates, everything will be in the last library. You could then delete the first one.

Backup first.

8. john says:

I use Photos; however, I’m not very happy with how it stores pictures in the Masters folder. For example, I have photos from 2001 till present, if I decide to create a new Photos library for whatever reason, the new library will have the current year as the starting point, so all those photos from 2001 onward will be stored in 2017.

• Jack says:

There’s really no reason to have multiple libraries unless you want one for Business, and one for Personal pictures.. Like if you have a Photography business, sell things on Craig’s list a lot, Realtor, etc…

It’s supposed to be all inclusive.

9. Renee says:

I cannot transfer photos from my Samsung Galaxy 6 to my MAC. I’ve used air droid . But cannot find the pic to attach to send to recipient . I’ve also used Kies but says it is not compatible with my Mac. I miss the days where you just.hooked up your phone to Mac and it would automatically upload. Any suggestions for a simple App. for photo transfer? Thank you!